SFP365 won't update from 15 to 16

joseph-p wrote on 4/8/2022, 6:11 PM

To say that I'm at my wits end is an understatement. This is enough to make me want to give up on SF altogether. I've used the program since version 4, and lately, starting with Sony, and now with Magix, every update and upgrade is a challenge.

The latest issue: I can't get the subscription version of SFP365 to upgrade from 15 to 16. Now I use the program both at work and at home. At home, I was notified inside the program that there was an update, and the process went perfectly.

Meanwhile, at work, there is no response when trying to upgrade from within the program. It just sits there. So I downloaded the installer from the download site. When I run that, I get a free drive space warning (it's a 500GB drive with 250GB remaining - more than enough space). Clicking through the warning, the installation starts. It looks like it's going to work (with the little blue "running" circle), but then it pauses (with a blue "pause" symbol). Hitting "continue" un-pauses the process for a second, then pauses it again. From that point it's dead in the water.

I have a ticket in, but I thought someone here might have a clue as to what's going on here.

BTW, this is a Windows 10 Pro machine on which I'm admin, with an Intel Xeon E5-1620v3 proc running 3.5GHz with 8G RAM and a 500GB spinning hard drive.

...joe

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 4/9/2022, 3:47 AM

@joseph-p

Since the computer on which the installation is failing is at work, and since the most common reason for problems like this is that the connection to the Magix server is being blocked (e.g., by your firewall or antivirus or even by permission settings pertaining to the user) does this computer automatically allow the connection to that server?

One other thought: the 365 subscription service allows installation on a maximum of one computer, so do you have TWO 365 subscriptions, one for each computer?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 4/9/2022, 5:33 AM

@joseph-p

It looks like it's going to work (with the little blue "running" circle), but then it pauses (with a blue "pause" symbol). Hitting "continue" un-pauses the process for a second, then pauses it again. From that point it's dead in the water.

Like emmrecs said, this is 100% a firewall/antivirus setting problem. The easiest way is to disable them temporarily until everything is downloaded and installed.

joseph-p wrote on 4/9/2022, 9:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I can check if the firewall/anti-virus is the issue, but it's doubtful. Both were disabled on the local target computer in an effort to get it working after the first couple of attempts.

At work, I've been updating the program since version 7 and have never had this issue. I've been on SFP365 since it was first offered and have updated all the way through the last build of 15 sans problems. IT knows that it, like lots of software, phones home and management has made sure IT knows the software is mission critical. I am admin on my workstation as well and not connected to the venue domain.

And yes, there are two separate accounts - a work account belonging to the radio station I work for, and a personal account for my home studio/voiceover service.

SP. wrote on 4/9/2022, 2:26 PM

@joseph-p Besides a firewall/antivirus setting the only other cause could be that your internet service provider blocks Magix servers, which is very unlikely. I would suggest you ask your network administrator at work for help.

rraud wrote on 4/9/2022, 2:35 PM

In perpetual versions of Sound Forge, an update work-a-round is downloading and reinstalling the latest build w/o reinstalling first. I do not have any experience with the subscription models and do not know if it would work.

joseph-p wrote on 4/13/2022, 12:34 PM

This has been resolved, and I was able to get SFP16 installed. Still couldn't get it installed from within SFP15, but I did get the manual download file to work.

Had to do a bit of sleuthing.  For some odd reason, the manual installer was looking at an external drive that didn't have enough space on it, rather than the C: drive (hence, the warning about drive space).  Dunno why.  The manual installer doesn't ask or confirm where you want to install it when upgrading.

Once I figured out where it was trying to install the program, I was able to point it to the proper place and it installed like buttah.

Of course, to figure out where it was pointing, I had to search through the drives attached to the PC (three, besides the C:) to find the temp install files. To point it where it needed to be installed, I had to uninstall all old SF versions and clean out the old files and registry entries. The installer then allowed me to select where to install the program as if it were a new, clean install.

A bit of a siege, but now I know if it happens again. Thanks for the replies...

...joe

rraud wrote on 4/13/2022, 1:16 PM

Thanks for follow up @joseph-p, which resolved your Sound Forge 365 update issue.
I have marked your above comment as a solution.

Thanks again,
Rick, Magix forum moderator