[SFP13] How do I record from or duplicate mono source to stereo?

Noah-Beller wrote on 8/13/2021, 9:39 AM

I am new to the Magix suite of audio tools, having only really worked briefly in very basic programs like Garage Band, and I am trying to figure out what to do with recording into Sound Forge Pro 13. I am using an interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) with my guitar hooked up and it is only recording onto channel 2. This does make sense, given it's a mono input, but every other program I've used automatically duplicates recorded sound onto the other channel so playback is the same in both ears/speakers of stereo playback.

I tried looking at Recording Settings, but it only monitors the 2 channels, doesn't seem to give any option to record onto both channels simultaneously. Is there a setting I'm missing? Or do I have to copy-paste every time I record?

Thanks!

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/13/2021, 10:14 AM

Choose "File> New" and select, "Channels 1 (mono)". Confirm the audio source is set to the Focusrite interface in "Options> Preferences> Audio> Record" . Then open "View> Record Options" and select 'Arm' in the transport menu (or Ctrl+Shift+A) to see the record level meters. Set the record level at the source (Focusrite). To initiate recording, select 'Record' in the transport menu (or Ctrl+R)
FYI, single-channel mono file will playback out of both monitor speakers equally.

If you wish to add (overdub) vocals or other instruments, you will need to use a multi-track audio application, for instance; Samplitude, Vegas Pro, Reaper, ProTools, or the free Audacity.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Noah-Beller.