SFP or any Magix Audio successfully running on Mac with Parallels?

GRB wrote on 1/24/2024, 4:02 PM

SFP or any Magix Audio successfully running on Mac with Parallels? Been curious about this for years.....

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/22/2024, 11:47 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Reason: Discussion closed

Cheers and may the Music Season be 24/7/365 !

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/25/2024, 4:38 AM

@GRB

Hi

See this article on Parallels.

Do note that:

• The article is from 2019.

• While the programs mentioned, may run, they may not be 100% compliant, depending on the hardware of the MAC computer. The main issue would be using ASIO to access the soundcard.

I would suggest you ask on the Parallel forums here.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

SP. wrote on 1/25/2024, 7:40 AM

@GRB You could simply try the Sound Forge free 30 days trial version in Parallels.

In case it ran fine in the past on MacOS, this might have changed with the introduction of Apple Silicon.

GRB wrote on 1/25/2024, 9:43 AM

thank you both. Was just curious, as I have been since stepping back to Windows 10 for a Mac breather (and $$$). Yes, Silicon is why I got frustrated and sold it off after waiting for compliance on many audio things for 2 years.... I just got an email about the new Parallels and Windows 11 easy setup and compatibility, so my mind went to Magix products right away... I hope to someday be back on Mac stability/quality, when things are globally working.... and hope that newer versions of Parallels would solve the "can't use Magix" issue with doing so.

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

GRB wrote on 1/25/2024, 9:50 AM

I also was hoping to hear from those that are actually using this setup and know first hand how its working.... as its better to hear real studio guys that can talk about it, than generic specs or in use highlights at most company sites. but thanks @johnebaker , I do agree probably best to go to source to find out more when I get closer to being able to possibly jump back to Mac. Sidenote: I guess I had it wrong in memory, but I could swear there was a Mac version of SFPro years back.... I guess I was thinking of a different Windows only (usually) program.

rraud wrote on 1/25/2024, 10:15 AM

I could swear there was a Mac version of SFPro years back....

There was a version of "Sound Forge Mac" but it is no longer supported and will not work with many of the OSX builds. See this comment and search this forum of more info.

GRB wrote on 1/25/2024, 11:12 AM

I could swear there was a Mac version of SFPro years back....

There was a version of "Sound Forge Mac" but it is no longer supported and will not work with many of the OSX builds. See this comment and search this forum of more info.

Oh thank god, lol.... That means I'm not completely out in Left Field with memory..... I thought so on Mac version years ago!!! I really appreciate that info to solve the "but wait" syndrome.... :)

johnebaker wrote on 1/25/2024, 1:53 PM

@GRB

Hi

. . . . I also was hoping to hear from those that are actually using this setup and know first hand how its working . . . . closer to being able to possibly jump back to Mac . . . .

Unfortunately there are very few, if any, regular posters in the forum who are using the software in Parallels on a MAC with the Apple M1 series of processors which were introduced in 2020. It is odd that the article I linked to has not been updated since 2019.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

GRB wrote on 1/25/2024, 3:07 PM

@GRB

Hi

. . . . I also was hoping to hear from those that are actually using this setup and know first hand how its working . . . . closer to being able to possibly jump back to Mac . . . .

Unfortunately there are very few, if any, regular posters in the forum who are using the software in Parallels on a MAC with the Apple M1 series of processors which were introduced in 2020. It is odd that the article I linked to has not been updated since 2019.

John EB

Probably not a good sign no update.... I'll stay with my old Win 10 long as I can until Apple gets things worked out....

Oh @SP. I forgot to mention I did trial Parallels a few years ago and was not happy with the results when I had the Mac but it felt clunky and I think it had errors too... I am pretty sure I tried Magix Music Maker Premium and Mixcraft Pro Studio on it.... Didn't seem like a valid "Windows Program" alternative to me.....

Last changed by GRB on 1/25/2024, 3:09 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Former user wrote on 2/21/2024, 7:47 PM

thank you both. Was just curious, as I have been since stepping back to Windows 10 for a Mac breather (and $$$). Yes, Silicon is why I got frustrated and sold it off after waiting for compliance on many audio things for 2 years.... I just got an email about the new Parallels and Windows 11 easy setup and compatibility, so my mind went to Magix products right away... I hope to someday be back on Mac stability/quality, when things are globally working.... and hope that newer versions of Parallels would solve the "can't use Magix" issue with doing so.

No offense, but this is unbelievable in 2023/2024. Lol. I mean, I have a MBP, and I have a lot of Audio Production software... plug-ins... virtual instruments... etc.

I also have a G14, and have had both since 2021. There is almost nothing that isn't abandonware/legacy software that I could not run Natively on my MBP in 2022... and definitely not in 2023.

Parallels is not worth it on Apple Silicon. Emulation like that was only ever really worth it as a software development tool, IMVHO.

When Apple as on Intel, people would just Boot Camp Windows onto their Macs and run everything on bare metal. The massive increase in resource usage and performance drop from emulation or virtual machines is not worth it for any performance-critical applications.

This is why people were dragging DAW and NLE developers that took longer than they'd like to move those applications to Apple Silicon (Adobe, Avid, Reason Studios, etc.). Rosetta 2 is like a 25-30% performance drop compared to Apple Silicon Native.

Old versions of software need to be updated. Legacy Software that has been dropped form product lines and development need to be let go. This happens even on Windows. You can't expect to just install Office 2003 and have it work properly. Certain components are literally blacklisted by the OS for security reasons.

Windows users are a bit too comfortable with this, but this is also what has led to the platform having the reputation it has. Part of the reason why macOS may seem more "stable/quality" than Windows is because Apple doesn't let you continue to run the same junk code on your machine so that you can turn around and blame them for it - the way people blame Microsoft or DAW developers when they continue to run the same F-Tier 32-Bit VST Code in their DAWs (through BitBridges that often introduce stability issues, but developers continue to maintain them because they don't want to deal with crying customers who want to continue to run 20 year old plug-ins vs. of paying $10 to replace them).

GRB wrote on 2/22/2024, 10:01 AM

No offense, but this is unbelievable in 2023/2024. Lol. I mean, I have a MBP, and I have a lot of Audio Production software... plug-ins... virtual instruments... etc.

I also have a G14, and have had both since 2021. There is almost nothing that isn't abandonware/legacy software that I could not run Natively on my MBP in 2022... and definitely not in 2023.

Parallels is not worth it on Apple Silicon. Emulation like that was only ever really worth it as a software development tool, IMVHO.

When Apple as on Intel, people would just Boot Camp Windows onto their Macs and run everything on bare metal. The massive increase in resource usage and performance drop from emulation or virtual machines is not worth it for any performance-critical applications.

This is why people were dragging DAW and NLE developers that took longer than they'd like to move those applications to Apple Silicon (Adobe, Avid, Reason Studios, etc.). Rosetta 2 is like a 25-30% performance drop compared to Apple Silicon Native.

Old versions of software need to be updated. Legacy Software that has been dropped form product lines and development need to be let go. This happens even on Windows. You can't expect to just install Office 2003 and have it work properly. Certain components are literally blacklisted by the OS for security reasons.

Windows users are a bit too comfortable with this, but this is also what has led to the platform having the reputation it has. Part of the reason why macOS may seem more "stable/quality" than Windows is because Apple doesn't let you continue to run the same junk code on your machine so that you can turn around and blame them for it - the way people blame Microsoft or DAW developers when they continue to run the same F-Tier 32-Bit VST Code in their DAWs (through BitBridges that often introduce stability issues, but developers continue to maintain them because they don't want to deal with crying customers who want to continue to run 20 year old plug-ins vs. of paying $10 to replace them).

lol, and gasp. I hear what saying, and it may apply to many "complainers" out there, but.....

I'm not talking 2023-2024 as you mentioned, maybe things are better now and I shouldn't have "offed" the Mac Mini.... but from 2020-2022, the early M1 years, it was a huge problem and frustration for almost all out there.

I'm not referring to any 10 to 20 year old 32 bit programs. I patiently waited for 2 years on some/lots of stuff I own, newer/newest stuff, 64 bit stuff, active large companies with constant updates (Waves, Presonus, Air Music Tech, etc). I'm not making it up. Google it yourself, but not really worth the time to look into imo. I lived it and know it was an issue for way too long.

I didn't blame Apple directly , the M1 is a workhorse and performs amazing.... but I did often wonder why there wasn't a lead time for certification given to large programming companies in the industry as there usually is Day #1 workability....,I think it was a combo of pandemic economy, teams working from home, corporate downsizing, and something entirely new that required lots of programming hours for certification across the board. I chose to jump in early release of M1 and that was my lesson to be learned.

Hopefully thats a bit more clear what I was referring to... not for something like Reason 5 to work on my new Mac M1, lol.

GRB wrote on 2/22/2024, 10:09 AM

Honestly, its all "water under the bridge" now. I don't care and not attached to too much of anything related anymore, windows 10 (still a valid and supported OS btw). I decided to sell off the M1 Mac Mini, and the upgraded to a newer Win 11 machine, so none of this is really valid for me anymore.

Attn @johnebaker, I'm ok with this post being deleted as its not really valid anymore. Was kind of confusing and non Magix focused from get go... my bad. thanks for help.

Last changed by GRB on 2/22/2024, 10:09 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

johnebaker wrote on 2/22/2024, 11:46 AM

@GRB

Hi

Your question is a valid one and the responses and information contained in the comments may be useful to others, however I will lock the post, before it starts a MacOS vs Windows debate, which tend to get very polarized on both sides.

John EB