SFAS 17.0.2 - Record Options/Play Unselected channels when recording

Guy-Risdon wrote on 11/21/2023, 7:14 PM

Hello, I am running SF Audio Studio 17.0.2 (Build109) on a W11 PC with a realtek audio card connecting a microphone and external stereo speakers, set up in preferences as a 'Magix Low Latency 2016' Audio Device type.

While attempting to record new audio in a separate channel while listening to an existing backing track (channel) as outlined in SF's help, with the 'Record Options/Play Unselected channels when recording' checkbox selected, I am unable to: a) hear the existing channel audio playback, nor b:) see any level displayed in the channel meter for that existing channel. Adjusting my selection of the Audio Device type preference to ANY the other available types (Microsoft Sound Mapper, Direct Sound Surround mapper, Windows Classis Wave Driver, Realtek ASIO) did not resolve the problems.

What do I need to do to record new audio in a separate channel while listening to an existing backing track (channel) as outlined in SF's help?

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Comments

rraud wrote on 11/22/2023, 9:31 AM

Hi @Guy-Risdon, Sound Forge is is a multi-channel editing application and is really not designed for sound-on-sound overdubbing,

A multi-track DAW application is much better suited for the task. Acid, Audition, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude and the free Audacty are multi-track options. Vegas Pro video also has a substantial multi-track DAW built in, which Sound Forge can be integrated. I am not sure if Magix' free 'Music Maker' supports overdubbing.

record new audio in a separate channel while listening to an existing backing track (channel) as outlined in SF's help?

That help item is misleading.

Guy-Risdon wrote on 11/22/2023, 11:36 AM

Hi, and thanks for your comments @RRAUD.

Guy-Risdon wrote on 11/22/2023, 12:05 PM

I have now escalated the 'Record Options/Play Unselected channels when recording' checkbox deficiency to MAGIX support.