SF17 "...no recording device exists,... cannot...open"

TheGDog wrote on 5/23/2024, 2:49 PM

In prior version... I always ended up just having to click upon the "Record what you hear" icon. I experienced similar problems in that version as well.

This machine is just using whatever onboard sound the MoBo has on it. Off the top of my head.. RealTek?

So far I can only find Options>Preferences>Audio>Record tab. But there seems to be nothing in there that deals with or allows manipulation of sampling rate, etc? And picking from among all the choices in the device: dropdown had no effect on the error message.

I'm a Dev, so you can likely just give me very high-level terse direct answers here of things to check on.

Including a screenshot of the Preferences dialog, as I believe that'd be most helpful here.

Thx
-G.

Comments

TheGDog wrote on 5/23/2024, 2:54 PM

Note that on this screen in the OS, clicking upon any of these choices does not enable the "Set Default" button as a possible choice.

SP. wrote on 5/23/2024, 3:43 PM

@TheGDog In the Windows sound settings make a right click on the white area in the recording tab and check if hidden devices are visible. If you can find Stereo Mix und What You Hear there, enable them and restart Sound Forge.

For the other recording inputs you need to connect a cable to them first.

rraud wrote on 5/24/2024, 1:57 PM

"What you hear" was a term used on the old 'Sound Blaster' cards, As SP. stated, RealTek's terminology is "Stereo Mix".
As I have stated in the forum archives, some PCs just cannot throughput the signal from the soundcard. I had two Toshiba laptops that could not, so I needed to use the virtual cable utility software. OTOH, all my Dell PCs (desk and laptop) had no problems recording what you hear.

btw @TheGDog, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community.

TheGDog wrote on 5/31/2024, 5:25 PM

Thanks for replying, the alert emails of the reply had gotten fwd'd to Junk, and I've been hammered with my work, so sorry for the delay in response on my part.

Hmmph, looks like I found the problem, I guess.

NOTE The dropdown for input devices here.

I don't get it though, since it's the mobo providing it, so it'd be the same chip for both things (input and output), right?

I'll see if I can go into Device Manager for the system and remove the soundcard device, then have it scan for new devices and see if when it re adds it back in that perhaps cures it.

SP. wrote on 5/31/2024, 5:35 PM

@TheGDog You are maybe not getting any input as long as no cables are connected to the line input or microphone input?

TheGDog wrote on 5/31/2024, 6:01 PM

OK... this is...Odd... I can go back into SFv12 and successfully do a "Record what you hear" though. (And this had acted weird and I think I couldn't get it to work the other day, kept bombing out with errors it wants to email back to magix, but only sporadically. Most of the times in the past, it'd work though. I might have to retry launching it a time or two more though.

Which is why in frustration I decided to go for the upgrade to v17, just in case some updates perhaps addressed this issue already.

I've now Uninstalled all the devices listed under "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager. Then had the Hardware scan automagically put'em back in. No issue presented with doing that operation.

After doing that, going into the [Recording] tab on the Sound dialog you can get to from "Applications > System Sounds" off the speaker icon in the System Tray, and RtClick shows I AM set to display Disabled/Disconnected Devices. So it's not like a lineitem for it is there and I just wasn't seeing it.

So... based on the fact that I CAN do a "Record What You Here" in SFv12 on same machine... but there's this issue of the System's Recording tab disallowing me to be able to select from among these item choices listed.. so therefore the System as far as the OS is concerned appears to not have an input device.

Taking into consideration what the gentleman said in regards to RealTek, and this is a Dell PC BTW. Anything else you can think of for me to check on over here?

Can somebody explain with a little more techie detail why I'm able to Record "What you hear" in v12.. but in v17 I can't even get in the door, in terms of invoking the Record button in v17?

SP. wrote on 6/1/2024, 3:10 AM

@TheGDog 'What you hear' is the system recording option of Sound Blaster, as far as I know, not Realtek.

And it should be visible in the recording devices tab.

I think there is something broken in your Windows sound device settings or in your audio drivers.

Maybe run a tool like snappy driver installer. It will scan all devices on your computer and install the newest drivers automatically. It's free and you can get it from https://sdi-tool.org/ Just be aware not to download the Adware from the download section.

johnebaker wrote on 6/1/2024, 8:49 AM

@TheGDog,

Hi

. . . . I don't get it though, since it's the mobo providing it, . . . .

It is the drivers that provide the connectivity features to the audio chipset.

@SP. commented, 'there is something broken in your Windows sound device settings or in your audio drivers.'

I agree with this - depending on the source the drivers were installed from, you have either the Windows or Dell drivers, I suspect Windows as I had the same problem with my Realtek audio in my PC.

Try installing the Dell audio drivers, and if they do not work, check if Realtek or the motherboard manufacturer have a driver download for your chipset.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/1/2024, 8:50 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

TheGDog wrote on 6/4/2024, 3:31 PM

OK, when I finally get a moment to breathe from "the day job" I'll likely goto Dell's site and try to look for the drivers, and give it a go this weekend.

Appreciate it!