SF13 & SF14 untimely require connection online via failing protocols

Cielspacing wrote on 9/27/2023, 1:31 PM

Today SF14 fails to open blaming it to a communication error.
SF13 opens fine but fails to save work

The worst of this is that this recurring "ET phone home" from my many MAGIX programs, happening at the wrong timing is causing me TERRIBLE work problems...

I know it is the licensing system, but the lack of website readily available solutions amounts to bad customer service, more so at 2023 already.

Since I often work offline, at remote places where internet is far from reach, I tried to prevent such behavior requesting a permanent (non-internet) P2 license for it, and I received it, but it is either the system is not allowing its re-installation, (because there are not whole software downloadable files for such, or any referece to those at any place in my account or in MAGIX website), or alternatively it simply is that SF13 security protocol is not working.
To add detail here: I can download the small pre-installer (MAGIX installation Manager) from my account registered products, however soon soundforgepro14_dlm 6MBs size is executed, its installation is halted by the "An error had ocurred during communication, Please check your internet connection" window. Abort in the only workable option there.

Consider that I have had here SF14 and SF13 both installed for long.
SF14 was last used (and had to reinstall it then for the same reason) at June 2023 and now it won't allow opening it again; for the same reason, it is requesting internet access and failing (something every other app on my PC is able to do).

SF13 P2 license was supposedly to be immune to this internet requests, and conversely it opens. I therefore trusted it and have just spent two working hours finishing a due work Today... but it now does not allow saving... because before doing that, requires access to internet! Add to this the extra hours sorting these MAGIX caused issues, including these posts.

I don't need to qualify such MAGIX's caused behaviour on software I was using reliably for decades before 2016.
FIX YOUR SERVICE, fix these recurrent problems for once at all. Or at least deliver user-workable ways to solve them.

Some questions arise: Why I have to spend my time and trust in Support Service or writing about this in this forum by design? Why Support team has to receive this load of work, because software protocols are faulty? Why after the Audio developers have devoted large efforts to debug and implement the actual features this tool requires, then comes MAGIX security or Administrative/Marketing layers to create reliability problems for us users, hence undermining our trust in these Audio or Video tools?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 9/27/2023, 2:11 PM

@Cielspacing

Much as other users might sympathise with your problems please remember these are user to user forums, so no-one who posts here can do anything to change the internet protocol settings and licence-check requirements that Magix use, sorry!

The only thing you can do is to create a Support ticket, starting from the Support header in any forum page, completing each successive page carefully, always choosing the option when it is offered to Ask Support or Email Support.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 9/27/2023, 2:20 PM

@Cielspacing Make sure TLS encryption protocol 1.1 and 1.2 is enabled on your Windows system.

Restart your computer regularly. Don't select Shutdown but Restart. Install all pending Windows updates.

Cielspacing wrote on 9/29/2023, 12:38 PM

@Cielspacing Make sure TLS encryption protocol 1.1 and 1.2 is enabled on your Windows system.

Restart your computer regularly. Don't select Shutdown but Restart. Install all pending Windows updates.

SP. were enabled. Also added TL3 per recommendation of another thread here. No change

Cielspacing wrote on 9/29/2023, 12:47 PM

@Cielspacing

Much as other users might sympathise with your problems please remember these are user to user forums, so no-one who posts here can do anything to change the internet protocol settings and licence-check requirements that Magix use, sorry!

The only thing you can do is to create a Support ticket, starting from the Support header in any forum page, completing each successive page carefully, always choosing the option when it is offered to Ask Support or Email Support.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

I understand. I directed my message to MAGIX since are them who caused and have the means to rectify these longstanding issues. This thread is located in this forum, openly, apart from the eventual notice from some MAGIX communications person, probably more relevantly; some present or future participants with varying degrees of interest get to know this situation spoken from direct experience.
We are a community and this information might be beneficial for us. Despite not being positive news about specific MAGIX actions, its mere communication is good to happen.

SP. wrote on 9/29/2023, 12:55 PM

@Cielspacing From my direct experience this is a problem with the internet security settings on the computer. Could be caused by the firewall, antivirus, Windows Defender etc.

Cielspacing wrote on 9/29/2023, 3:38 PM

@Cielspacing From my direct experience this is a problem with the internet security settings on the computer. Could be caused by the firewall, antivirus, Windows Defender etc.

Fair guess. That I also shared, ...then - Yesterday, when I had to force-close SF therefore losing hours of work on audio - an "error report" window ensued, asking for my approval for it to be send, which I did. Surprisingly sending completed just fine!
So, SoundForge error report system connected to home with no problem and at the same time, its security protocol failed to connect?

Furthermore, my P2 license supposedly precludes any requirement of internet authorization, hence why it failed to save my finished file alluding failure of internet connection?

SP. wrote on 9/29/2023, 4:14 PM

@Cielspacing P2 serials can be activated offline, that's correct. But I'm not sure about certain features like audio codecs or plugins.

Are you trying to simply save a WAV file or a different format?

I have another idea. You could try to connect your smartphone to your computer and enable mobile data and tethering or you create a mobile hotspot with your smartphone and connect your computer via WiFi. But be aware, it depends on your provider if this is allowed and it might cost money. But it could be an alternative way to connect the software with the Internet.