SF10 Not saving video after editing audio

Roman-Rencki wrote on 3/6/2021, 12:23 PM

Someone mentioned that SF10 was able to save MP4 video. Mine will not, I open a video, normalise the sound but when I save I lose all video. Have tried "saving as" (chose *.mp4) and also just "save". The result is the same - a black screen with music! Have had to re-do 3 videos after losing them - Can anyone help?

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/6/2021, 5:27 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Roman-Rencki.

Which version of Sound Forge-10? Is the video attached?? If you have an AVC codec installed, you can re-render the file in SF.. however.. a generational loss with take place. Magix versions of SF-AS (Audio Studio) can allegedly 'mux' in new or replacement audio. I am not aware of any version of SF Pro supports muxing and none of the SCS (Sony) versions can.

That being said, when I need to replace audio on a MP4 video, I render an AAC (.mp4 or .m4a) audio only file and mux in the replacement audio with a third-party app such as MeGUI, My MP4Box or Avidemux. The picture remains untouched so there is no quality loss.

Roman-Rencki wrote on 3/6/2021, 6:13 PM

Much appreciate your reply - thanks. (SF 10 build 252)

I'm still at a loss why, if I open a video and work on the audio part, I can't just save it back from where it came still with the video part intact.

I have had good success "normalising" audio in videos using "MP4gain", but having SF in my computer would like to use it if possible.

rraud wrote on 3/7/2021, 11:13 AM

I do not know about Audio Studio, but SF Pro-10 has the options to 'Save as' a Sony or MainConcept AVC/AAC (.mp4) In either, select to 'Custom' button in the 'Save as' window and check-mark 'Include video'

As I previously stated, the video quality will be reduced with the re-render... how much depends on the bit rate and other settings. Muxing in the replacement audio is far better in terms of preserving picture quality.

Roman-Rencki wrote on 3/8/2021, 6:59 PM

Taking onto account your comments about re-rendering, I have found a work-around.

Once the video is in SF, I can "remove video" and edit the audio.

I am then able to move that modified audio file into my video editor, replacing the already separated/deleted audio track (from the same original video file)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.