SF Pro 18 can't drag and drop or auto preview

Teles wrote on 9/4/2024, 6:24 PM

Two things don't work with SF Pro 18.0.0 which work in my older version 12. I cannot drag a wav file to SF Pro to open it, it has a 'block' icon of circle with a line thru it. And auto preview in the Explorer does not audition the sample, and the auto preview button is not 'on' when I open SF Pro again.

I'm on Windows 11 Home 23H2.

Comments

rraud wrote on 9/5/2024, 11:18 AM

Hi @Teles, I cannot duplicate the drag/drop behavior on Win 10.
Can other Win 11 users confirm this behavior?

I cannot duplicate the 'Auto play' behavior either.
Is 'Auto play' enabled in the 'Open' window?

Do you have the latest build (currently build 8)?
Maybe try to resetting SFP-18 in the File menu.

SP. wrote on 9/5/2024, 1:21 PM

@Teles The drag and drop problem can be caused by Sound Forge running as administrator. Windows doesn't allow drag and drop in that case because a manipulated file might get admin privileges.

Teles wrote on 9/5/2024, 4:45 PM

@Teles The drag and drop problem can be caused by Sound Forge running as administrator. Windows doesn't allow drag and drop in that case because a manipulated file might get admin privileges.

I do in fact have SF run as Administrator! Well one for that. Drag and drop now works. Auto preview still doesn't work though and its a major feature for me as I step through hundreds of short samples.

Teles wrote on 9/5/2024, 4:50 PM

Hi @Teles, I cannot duplicate the drag/drop behavior on Win 10.
Can other Win 11 users confirm this behavior?

I cannot duplicate the 'Auto play' behavior either.
Is 'Auto play' enabled in the 'Open' window?

Do you have the latest build (currently build 8)?
Maybe try to resetting SFP-18 in the File menu.

Auto play is always off when I start SF, and I have to click on it to enable it. And it does not play the samples as I click on the filenames. The latest build is sitll 18.0.0 which I think is interesting given that releases always need something to fix. Not that the auto play is necessarily SF at fault. But my SF Pro 12 work fine.

rraud wrote on 9/6/2024, 11:13 AM

And it does not play the samples as I click on the filenames.

What is the duration of the samples? If they are very short, adjusting the playback buffering may help and/or adjusting the auto-play delay in the (hidden) 'Internal' menu.

Auto play is always off when I start SF.

On my system, auto-play remains on or off when I exit SF. I am not aware of a setting to lock it. Maybe running as administrator affects that too. (btw, thanks @SP.

Teles wrote on 9/6/2024, 4:15 PM

Hi rraud,

I use hundreds of short drum samples, all handled fine with SF Pro 12. I'm using the default playback buffer of 256 I don't think that could affect it.

I reset prefs and cache and not only does auto play not auto play, but some folders make the SF explorer lock up. That's why I had it running as Administrator, which didn't help but broke the drag and drop. Again, all fine with SF Pro 12.

SP. wrote on 9/6/2024, 4:45 PM

@Teles WAV files or compressed files?

Teles wrote on 9/6/2024, 4:59 PM

@Teles WAV files or compressed files?

All WAV, 16-bit 44.1KHz, same as the audio interface. Ableton Live and SF12 have no problem stepping through them. Windows 11 explorer has no problem drawing the files in details mode, they are on SSD.