SF Audio Studio 15.0, Build118 will not play, edit or save changes MP3

Guy-Risdon wrote on 12/16/2021, 5:35 PM

Yesterday I upgraded to Sound Forge Audio Studio 15.0, Build118 (SF15.0B118) on my Windows10 Pro (OS build 19042.1415) PC, after I was prompted by the software to install the upgrade, and was able to open an original MP3 file, view, play, and save changes in a new MP3 file . However today, when attempting to access an original MP3 file from my hard drive, SF15.0B118 shows the following MAJOR issues:

1 - SF15.0B118 will play (preview) the entire audio of an original MP3 file while it is selected in the File/Open command dialogue box.

2 - SF15.0B118 will open and load the original MP3 file and I can view the audio waveforms, however it will not: a) play the file, b) allow me to edit the file in any way, c) will not perform any edits on the file, it just deletes the original audio data.

3. Oddly, SF15.0B118 still allows me to select areas areas of the audio file and may intermittently play portions of the my selection.

When will Magix release a fix for these major issues? The software I've paid for is not useful in it's current form for my intended purpose.

Comments

craig-d wrote on 12/17/2021, 2:09 AM

Hi! i edit mp3 files all day long both at home and in my studio, and i have no issues with that...glitchy things like that are often caused by corrupted files (could've happened while updating), and are normally fixed by doing a clean uninstall/reinstall...i would suggest using a third party uninstaller to make sure that the uninstall is really clean and that corrupted file or files really get removed. i hope this helps!

rraud wrote on 12/17/2021, 10:04 AM

I am not sure if Sound Forge AS (Audio Studio), has this option, but in Sound Forge Pro, enabling "Always Proxy lossless formats" has been known to eliminate some MP3 file issues. In SF Pro, the setting is in "Options> Preferences> General", AS may be similar.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Guy-Risdon.

Guy-Risdon wrote on 12/20/2021, 3:34 PM

Hey fellas, thanks! for the comments - they helped me resolve my SF15.0B118 MP3 issue.

First - suspecting a corrupt MP3 file: After verifying the MP3 file was in good shape good by playing it in another MP3 player, I then simply deleted the *.SFK file that SF15.0B118 auto creates. That fixed the issue until I closed SF. SF simply re-auto created a new *.SFK file that would then cause the issue to persist the next time I opened the file. Repeatedly deleting *.SFK file seemed like ridiculous workaround to me.

Second - suspecting a recurring corrupt SF auto created file: I enabled the option "Delete new temporary files on close" in "Options> Preferences> General". This option seems to have resolved my issue - SF no longer even creates the troublesome *.SFK file that seems to be causing my MP3 issues.

Perhaps Magix should consider putting up a fix that seems to be causing MP3 issues in their *.SFK file.

Season's Greetings!

rraud wrote on 12/20/2021, 4:56 PM

Have you not yet enabled "Always proxy compressed formats" ?

The <.sfk> waveform files usually do not cause problems, aside from being an annoyance to some.

Guy-Risdon wrote on 12/20/2021, 5:48 PM

Hey, you know I tried that "Always proxy compressed formats", and it created a 41Mb *.sfap(0) file I do not need in addition to my original 4Mb MP3 file - so I elected not to comment on your suggestion. I appreciate the double clutch tho!

So I'm off and running by enabling the option "Delete new temporary files on close". However, Magix should consider putting up a fix since the *.SFK file seems to be causing MP3 issues in playback.

-Cheers!