Serial Number is Invalid or may apply to another product

Sandi-Richards wrote on 11/3/2023, 6:55 PM

On attempting to load Sound Forge I get the above Error Code (-14). The serial number I am inputting is the one from the email I got yesterday when I subscribed to Vegas Pro Post, under Sound Forge Pro (Vegas Pro Post 365).

I've tried activating Sound Forge through the Magix site online, and it recognizes the serial number as being for Sound Forge but will not accept the computer ID that I'm putting in. I've tried Device Name and Device ID from Control Panel>System but that doesn't work either.

Thanks

Comments

Rod-Howard wrote on 11/3/2023, 11:21 PM

Same problem here with Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab. Terribly poor customer service to take someone's money and because of some registration snafu have the product withheld and then have a policy that customer service response expectation is 2 to 4 days.

SP. wrote on 11/4/2023, 2:27 AM

@Sandi-Richards @Rod-Howard

You can only activate very old software, which came out before 2014 with a computer ID, so this won't work.

Instead, download the correct installer from here by entering the serial number: https://www.magix.com/int/support/my-service-center/product-downloads/

There are different versions of the software, Sound Forge Audio Studio, Pro, Pro Suite, Audio Cleaning Lab. So you definitely need to install the correct version or else you'll get the error -14.

johnebaker wrote on 11/4/2023, 3:45 AM

@Sandi-Richards, @Rod-Howard

Hi

. . . . will not accept the computer ID that I'm putting in. I've tried Device Name and Device ID from Control Panel>System but that doesn't work either . . . .

They won't - the computer ID is a unique number generated by the software that was used to activate the software on a computer that was not connected to the Internet, ie as @SP. has commented, pre 2014.

Once you have installed the correct version you should be able to activate it online in program.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Rod-Howard wrote on 11/4/2023, 8:45 AM

Are you telling me that on Nov 2, 2023 for a purchase of the latest version of ACL made on the same day, Magix sent me a link to a version of the program from pre-2014 and pre-2014 installation instructions? How is that even possible?

So I need to uninstall what I just installed first? I just re-read the post from the op. My error is the same but there is no place where I am asked to enter a computer id.

SP. wrote on 11/4/2023, 9:10 AM

@Rod-Howard We are telling you to enter the correct serial number for the correct product. Please use the link above to get the correct installer. This should solve your problem.

Rod-Howard wrote on 11/4/2023, 10:16 AM

Thank you for your help. This worked. To clarify for anyone else having this problem, in my particular case it had nothing to do with a computer ID or pre-2014 authorization method…or the wrong serial number. Magix sent me the correct serial number but the wrong download link. If you just purchased something and are having this problem download from the link above instead of the one provided with your purchase. Hopefully someone at Magix is aware of this and addressing the problem.