Comments

emmrecs wrote on 2/28/2022, 3:39 AM

@Kathryn-Darrow

I'm not sure what you mean by these blobs now, without the line definition that has been there.

What you are seeing there is a graphical representation of the waveform of your recording but did you notice the duration of the whole thing is less than three seconds? IOW, you are very much zoomed in! With such a short duration on the screen what you are seeing is exactly what I would expect to see.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 2/28/2022, 10:44 AM

Hi @Kathryn-Darrow, those (light blue) "blobs"... look like the default waveform display to me. Please elaborate.

Kathryn-Darrow wrote on 2/28/2022, 1:30 PM
Okay, obviously I'm a NEWBIE :), and I so appreciate you guys' patience with my question! Maybe it was simply, like Jeff said, that the recording was so short. I've been used to seeing a very spiky pattern, with more dramatic vertical lines (I don't know how to attach the image here), so the more square shaped blobs confused me, and I didn't know how to edit them. How do I get a more detailed readout, if I want to edit something this short? I went to View and looked at the different Zoom options, but none seemed to give me more detail in the waveforms. Again, I'm so grateful for your help -- and your kindness! :)
emmrecs wrote on 2/28/2022, 1:41 PM

@Kathryn-Darrow

Try Zooming Out on that timeline.

Once zoomed out far enough you will see, at the left hand side of the timeline, a very small/short image that will more closely resemble the spiky pattern with more dramatic vertical lines that you are used to seeing.

You can attach an image by clicking on the "white arrow in a blue box" at the top of the box where you write your reply and then navigating to where the image is saved on your computer.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 2/28/2022, 2:56 PM

When parts of the waveform are squared off, at the top and/or bottom, that usually indicates some sort of 'clipping' (digital overs), over-driving the analog input stage or peak limiting/volume maximizing ... (when used to excess, can also result in audible distortion).

Kathryn-Darrow wrote on 3/2/2022, 12:42 PM

Sorry for the delay, guys! I had some dental surgery and have been away from the computer.

Jeff, your post makes sense, and yet I'm gonna need a little more on "zooming out on the timeline." :) And rraud, I got a kick out of how many technical terms you threw out there, since you KNEW I wasn't familiar with all of them, but I got out of your reply that I had my input too high and/or was just coming through the system too loud.

Both of you are certainly being Good Samaritans. Thanks for helping me along! :)