Saving mp3 files

Steve-Kinloch wrote on 10/4/2023, 7:27 AM

Hi,

My OS is Windows 10 64 bit and I'm using Sound Forge 10 (build 252) which is 32 bit.

When I'm working on a file and lower the volume to say -1db then save it as a WAV file, when I reload the file into SF the volume is still at -1db.

But if I save the same file as a mp3 and then reload it into SF the volume increases to 0.00db.

Is this a conflict between 64 bit OS and 32 bit software? Everything else I do to the file is OK, it's only the volume that's affected.

Comments

SP. wrote on 10/4/2023, 8:06 AM

@Steve-Kinloch In case you use compressed audio files like mp3 it's recommended to enable Options > Preferences > General> Always proxy compressed formats

Steve-Kinloch wrote on 10/4/2023, 9:27 AM

Hi SP,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using SF for 20 years and never had to enable proxy compressed formats...but I'll give it a go.

As far as I know it's only been doing this for a few weeks and only affects the volume on mp3's

Edit: enabling proxy compressed formats made no difference.

rraud wrote on 10/4/2023, 10:09 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Steve-Kinloch. the MP3 encoding process can increase peaks by a few dBs .... primarily when using a low bit rate. Try encoding the file at a higher bitrate setting like 320kbs CBR (constant bit rate) with the quality parameter set to max. The file will be larger, but no wheres as large as a PCM.

FWIW, 320kps is the max MP3 bitrate.. it can be 'cheated' though by encoding in the MP3 mono mode, The 320kps mono file would have the resolution of 740kps. Naturally, any spacial information would be lost though, so it is limited. The stereo/mono file size would be about the same though. Unfortunately, the Franhofer MP3 encoder in SCS versions of SF, does not have the mono option for bit rates above 128kps as I recall.

Steve-Kinloch wrote on 10/5/2023, 5:01 AM

Hi rraud, Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

It isn't anything to do with the bit rate. I've just tried saving a file at 320kbps with exactly the same result.

I only use mp3 for music I play in the car. I save at 128kbps mainly to make the files smaller so I can get all my music (vinyl and CD's) on 6 USB sticks. Other music on my pc is either WAV or FLAC.

Personally I think the problem is either a glitch in SF or in Windows 10, or it's 32 bit software on a 64 bit OS. But if that is the case, why does it only affect the volume on mp3's. I may try re-installing SF10, see if that helps. But I'll probably have to get a 64 bit version of SF. Do you know if it's still possible to get a license for SF 12 Pro? That maybe cheaper than one of the newer versions.

rraud wrote on 10/5/2023, 1:18 PM

Hi @Steve-Kinloch, I do not think it has anything to do with Windows or SF's bit rate. I have SFP-10 on my 64 bit Win 10 laptop and have not experienced the MP3 behavior you describe, nor can I duplicate it. In addition, I do not recall ever reading of the issue (aside from what I previously stated about low bitrate MP3s, so you might try resetting Sound Forge 10 to see if that makes any difference.

All of Magix versions of SF (except 17) have a 32 bit install option. Both the 32 and 64 bit versions can be installed of the same PC w/o issue and does not count as an additional activation. They coexist and share many of the same settings.

btw, SCS (Sony) versions of SF do not have the reset command in the file menu like Magix versions, so it must be opened by holding down the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys, whilst launching SF, which opens the reset dialog.

Steve-Kinloch wrote on 10/5/2023, 2:45 PM

Hi rraud,

I know it's nothing to do with SF's bit rate, but I have previous with windows not carrying out instructions. A CD/DVD drive on which I could burn DVD's and data but not audio cd's. After reinstalling burning software several times and trying other software, the only thing left was win7. Reinstalled it and the drive worked fine until I moved to win10. At the moment it's not much of a problem only if I need to create some mp3's. They will just have to be loud until I sort it out. Thanks for the advice.