Return to 4/4 time, please?

Michael-Warren wrote on 11/7/2021, 4:01 PM

I have attempted to speak to Magix and Acid to express my feelings about changing the time signature, from 4/4, to 8, 16, 32, to this ridiculous 5.1, and etc. I do remember that anyone would have been failed from music class, for not using the traditional numbers. Now, my songs are fragmented, and make no sense, because I'm used to using the guides of bars and measures, and referring to numbers like 16, 32, 64, and 128. This is the standard way music has been notated for 300 years! Keep in mind, in any numbering sequence, you start with zero. After one full beat, a whole note, you are at one. After four whole notes, you are at Four! Not at five! You would have to play FIVE whole notes before you get to FIVE, but you're a full beat into the next measure. The measure must end and begin on FOUR! It's also very important to have the multiples correct, so a standard bar in 4/4 is 16, and four of those measures gets you to 64 (after, not before the note). IF YOU ALSO FEEL THIS WAY CAN WE PLEASE PETITION MAGIX TO CREATE AN UPDATE THAT SETS THE TIME SIGNATURE BACK TO THE PROPER ENUMERATION FOR 4/4 TIME? PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Comments

SP. wrote on 11/7/2021, 5:00 PM

@Michael-Warren That is a fairly common beat based ruler that is used in many different DAWs. It always starts with bar (= measure) 1, beat 1.

This means 5.1 shows the start of bar 5 beat 1. If you change the time signature the number of beats per bar change and this means the positions of the bars move. But because of the ruler you still easily see where bar 5 will begin.

It is some kind of industry standard.

Michael-Warren wrote on 11/7/2021, 6:50 PM

So when you get a six-pack of soda, is it 7.1? Or is it still six? Help me out, with this ruler, what is the mark for 64 beats? Do you just add 1.1 to any number? And if any other DAW's are doing it that way, it's just wrong. You sill start on zero until you have completed one, or more. And you end and begin on four. Where is your logic? (Not the DAW, your brain)

SP. wrote on 11/8/2021, 2:30 AM

@Michael-Warren I guess you are understanding something wrong. Are you counting a 4/4 rhythm in music like 0,1,2,3, 0,1,2,3...? I never encountered that.

With a 4/4 time signature the you can put 4 beats in a bar. 64 beats need full 16 bars of space (16 × 4).

You start counting beats at zero, so the beat you are calling the 64th beat starts at bar 17 in ACID. I start counting beats at 1 so the 64th beat I count ends at the beginning of bar 17.

If you work with beat numbers like 16, 32, 64 and 128 in a 4/4 time signature you need to divide the numbers just by four and add one because you start counting beats at zero.