Resolved problem by going to solid state hard drive

andrew-pgh wrote on 2/18/2021, 1:42 PM

Hi all,

I was having a horrible time trying to work from projects stored on my "regular" hard drive on my win 10/ryzen 37000 system. The software seemed to be struggling to play data from the only 2 tracks at the same time at the proper speed. The result was that it sounded like track 1 and track 2 were playing back at different tempos.

By moving my files to the solid state hard drive the issue became a non-issue.

I hope this can help others who may be pulling their hair with a similar issue.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 2/18/2021, 1:57 PM

@andrew-pgh

As was suggested in the thread where you first raised this issue (I think), this situation would tend to indicate that either, your hard drive is very slow; or, it is failing, perhaps; or both. I regularly stream multiple tracks from a standard HDD and see no such problems. (I'm not using Acid, but since the problem for you is not directly Acid related, I can't really see any other reason.)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Former user wrote on 2/18/2021, 8:01 PM

Andrew, thats right. Not sure if this would help anyone but just to add on to emmercs, try changing USB connections. I have the shortest cables connected to a powered USB hub. I have several external hard drives. Acid actually is a one of the few DAWs that can pull data from even a dying year 2000 hard drive and work just as fast.

PATIENT-X wrote on 2/18/2021, 9:03 PM

I have the same WD 1.5tb external hard drive on short usb cable full of audio and video samples which is years old and still does the job and is still fast.

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 2/18/2021, 9:04 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

Former user wrote on 2/21/2021, 5:34 AM

I have the same WD 1.5tb external hard drive on short usb cable full of audio and video samples which is years old and still does the job and is still fast.

If the HDD was very fragmented and his sessions were mostly Loops and Samples being streamed from the HDD, then I can see that being an issue.

HDD performance is highly sensitive to how much data is being read from them concurrent, and how efficiently that data is stored on the drive.

andrew-pgh wrote on 2/22/2021, 9:17 PM

I had a drum track, maybe 4 minutes long, simple beat and I played guitar for 4 minutes.

2 tracks. The system and drives are 6 months old, nothing close to failing.

I intend to revisit the problem and try my other hard drive (8 gig) and see how that works, then try my D drive again and see if it still has trouble keeping tracks in time.