Reported communications error whilst trying to register

Richard-Peach wrote on 12/20/2020, 7:29 AM

I do not seem to be able to get in direct contact with Xara support- about normal for

nowadays. An attempt to register the [supposedly] new version of Xara that I got in November

does this (see att ) when I attempt to register. I wouldn't mind but the program won't run until I have!

The bit about there being a communication problem is rubbish, since I can run firefox and call up web sites

in this same session. If Xara is using some funny port or other that windows normally leaves open then

You'd better tell me what it is so I can open a linux firewall pinhole to make it work. Yes I did look at my

account and no there was no mention of any registration of the password (see att)

Regards,

RJP

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 12/20/2020, 8:27 AM

@Richard-Peach

My apologies but I have removed the image from your post because it includes both your personal serial key and your personal email address. You should never post confidential data to a public forum like this one. Your Magix/Xara product account could be hacked and your product rendered unusable, and your email address could be harvested by bots, leading to spamming of your Inbox.

By all means, repost the image once you have removed that specific data.

I believe the problem you are seeing is because you are running Windows 7 and the internet security protocols which that OS includes are not sufficient for current usage. I will tag @johnebaker into this thread because he is much more knowledgeable about the details of this than I am.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 12/20/2020, 11:03 AM

@Richard-Peach

Hi

. . . . You'd better tell me what it is  . . . .

Comments such as this are not acceptable in the forum - this is a user to user forum not Magix Support - and demanding a response is more likely to deter a user from helping you - see Community rules 1 and 2 link is at the bottom of the page.

. . . . running Windows 7 and the internet security protocols which that OS includes are not sufficient for current usage. . . . .

There are several possible causes for the registration failure:

1. OS incompatibility - the minimum OS requirement for the program is Windows 8.

2. Required http and security protocols are not turned on or missing. Check the Internet options shown below are turned on.

3. Assuming the Linux firewall is a separate box are all the main Internet ports open for outbound and inbound traffic.

4. If the firewall is geoblocking then you are going to have to temporarily disable it to see if the registration process goes through.

However if you are emulating Windows on a Linux box that is a different issue which we cannot help you.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/20/2020, 11:03 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Richard-Peach wrote on 12/20/2020, 1:27 PM

Apologies -I'm only on here at all since MAGIX do not seem to have any sort of direct support. If you DO know how to get in direct communication with them that information would be quite handy...

If the new Xara won't run on win 7 I'm going to ask 'em for a refund - no mention of that [needless]

restriction AFAIKR. Reluctantly (been using Xara since it was !Artworks on the RiscPC) it may be time to move on. Most of what I want to do now can be done with XFig the gimp and even !Draw

on RiscOS !)

The internet is all accessible from the VM running the new Xara - nowt wrong with it! So I need to

speak to them direct somehow - even if just to get me money back!

Regards,

R

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2020, 6:45 AM

@Richard-Peach

Hi

. . . . If the new Xara won't run on win 7 . . . .

There is no reason it should run on Windows 7 - the system requirements make it clear Windows 8 is the minimum needed.

Additionally are you saying you are using an ARM processor device, running RISC OS, using a VM to run Windows 7, to run Photo and Graphic Designer?

Magix Support is through a ticketing system, there is no telephone support and with good reason.

You can contact Magix by emailing infoservice@magix.net, however given the current virus situation and the season, do not expect an immediate response, it may take several days to get a reply.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Richard-Peach wrote on 12/22/2020, 8:32 AM

I reckon there is no good reason why it SHOULDN'T run on Win 7 since Xara [probably] does not use any of the windows API that has changed significantly between win 7 and win 10.

Since Xara was originally ported from !Draw / !Artworks most likely it has it's own 'custom' graphic 'upper layer' anyway. I know Dave Pilling did that with !Ovation when he had to port that onto windows.

It never occurred to me that Xara WOULDN'T run - especially as there was no explicit mention of the fact in the 'sales blurb'.

On my new box , I DO have win 10 but [of course] I have set the grub boot loader to boot the Ubuntu linux partition. I do not want to have to interrupt the background processes that I have running to cross boot onto win 10 'just to' use Xara. Alas that the linux version of Xara never got off the ground! I was considering 'giving a lift' with that at one time.

Naahh The ARM is running RIscOS , but I was talking about using !Draw [which is where Xara came from in the first place [via !Artworks ] ] . The VM is on a 12-core Acer box win Ubuntu linux 20.04. I have been using Xara like that for years on other machines.

I plan to see if anyone still has a version of !Artworks :) Since I still have a fair few Xara drawings, I'll have to make sure that my Xara 6 still runs! :-s

If MAGIX cannot even provide a chat room for support, they are failing to provide a satisfactory support service. Most of the time other vendors DO provide such which [I find] is an efficient and effective way to handle queries.

I did finally find that support link - and yes I did contact them. Essentially they said:

"tough luck - you have to use win 10". My reply was "product unfit for purpose - refund please."

Regards, RJP

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2020, 3:05 PM

@Richard-Peach

Hi

. . . . My reply was "product unfit for purpose - refund please." . . . .

On the contrary - software manufacturers state clearly what the system requirements are for which the software is tested and deemed to be 'fit for purpose'.

Under the legal definition of 'fit for purpose' - the basic premise for testing this is 'does it do what it is supposed to done on the system hardware and OS as stated by the manufacturer'. There is no room for assumptions in the definition of 'fit for purpose'.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Richard-Peach wrote on 12/22/2020, 4:17 PM

I see - so I've lost my money. It will not happen again.