Rendering with ASIO or MME drivers

Stephen-Harrison2457 wrote on 7/7/2021, 1:50 AM

Hi My rendered files have a different EQ sound when done with ASIO drivers than with Microsoft Sound Mapper. And seeing as most people when playing back this file will use an application i.e. Winamp / Itunes that uses MME type drivers, they're not hearing what I want them to hear. If I do a final mix from Acid using the driver set to Microsoft Sound Mapper then the EQ sounds the same, so problem solved, but does anyone know why this happens, if it happens for anyone else. The sound has a thicker quality i.e. more mid-range. I use a Komplete Audio 6 as my usb interface on Win 10..... many thanks..

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/7/2021, 1:55 AM

@Stephen-Harrison2457 Has your sound chip driver (likely Realtek HD Audio Manager) some sound "enhancements" enabled?

Stephen-Harrison2457 wrote on 7/7/2021, 2:45 AM

Hi Thanks for the quick response, my laptop does have a Realtek Audio chip, I went to the properties page in Control Panel and in the advanced settings under Signal enhancements there is a box (enable audio enhancements) that is checked which I have now unchecked. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Stephen-Harrison2457 wrote on 7/7/2021, 3:15 AM

I tried rendering again, but the issue is still there. I disabled the Realtek all together but it didn't make any difference. I can live with it, but it means I have to create my final mix with the driver set as Microsoft Sound mapper and EQ out the mid knowing that when it's rendered it will sound the same as it does in Acid.

thanks

SP. wrote on 7/7/2021, 8:08 AM

@Stephen-Harrison2457 There shouldn't be any difference in sound with different drivers. You could also check your Windows sound settings if there is something wrong. Maybe the incorrect device is selected.

Stephen-Harrison2457 wrote on 7/7/2021, 1:27 PM

Sorted....... I went and looked at the advanced settings for the Komplete audio driver and there was an identical box for  (enable audio enhancements) that was ticked, which I unticked and it now seems ok. It probably got ticked by some useless Windows 10 update, I didn't do it.... So thanks very much for pointing in the right direction.... onwards.

SP. wrote on 7/7/2021, 1:29 PM

@Stephen-Harrison2457 Okay, thanks for the information on how you solved it.

Stephen-Harrison2457 wrote on 7/8/2021, 1:38 AM

Thank you so much for your help, to be honest I was at my wits end, I'd spend all evening mixing something in Acid, finish off by rendering, then the next day listening back in an external player, and it just sounded sh*t. Not being a techy doesn't help, so being able to come somewhere like this for clues is a big help and hopefully if someone else has a similar issue..... cheers.