Removing breathing sounds from video

Kevin-Ward wrote on 8/15/2024, 5:37 AM

Hello. I also posted in the audio cleaner section but I am unsure if that is the correct area for this question. I have a video that was shot on a phone. The issue is that the person holding the phone was breathing so loudly that it can be heard while others are talking. Every video I can find on breath removal seems to be for one person talking into a mic and happens after talking - never when someone else is talking while someone else is breathing. Can this even be done and, if so, what software or techniques should I try? Love editing in Vegas but this seems to be beyond the audio abilities of that program. Am on a PC using W11.

Comments

SP. wrote on 8/15/2024, 6:07 AM

@Kevin-Ward If you get the Sound Forge Pro Suite, you'll also get SpectraLayers Pro, which is made to do clean up recordings like this. Alternatively, like I mentioned in your other thread, you can also try to use the free Ultimate Vocal Remover from https://ultimatevocalremover.com/ and try to isolate the voice with it. I think it offers technically the same AI algorithms that SpectraLayers has (and more).

johnebaker wrote on 8/15/2024, 6:41 AM

@Kevin-Wardi

Which program are you using to try to remove the breathing noise?

I have temporarily closed your first post.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/15/2024, 6:43 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rraud wrote on 8/15/2024, 10:23 AM

Hi @Kevin-Ward, iZ's RX Advanced has a breath noise reduction tool but RX Advanced is costly, I am not sure if SLP (SpectraLayers Pro) has an 'auto' breath tool.
- Working directly in Sound Forge (or Vegas), you could draw volume envelopes to attenuate breath noises.
- In SF, you could copy a second or so of 'room tone', select the breath noise region and choose 'Edit> Paste Special> Overwrite' (or right-click the selected region and click 'Overwrite')
In any case, the SF Overwrite edit tool will not screw up A/V sync.

xman_charl wrote on 8/22/2024, 11:36 AM

Acon Digital has DE breath thingy...

my 2 cents