Refuses to run

gary-tayman wrote on 7/18/2017, 10:24 PM

Sound forge Pro 11 -- windows 10.  I need help!  I've been using this software for many years, buying every updated version when it comes out.  A couple years ago my wife wanted to use it, so I asked Sony about a multiple-unit license.  I was told they don't mind it being installed on other computers, as long as multiple copies aren't running at the same time.  OK -- fast forward to this week.  My wife came into my shop and asked me how to find the metadata menu.  I told her, view, metadata, summary.  Huh?  So I opened up Sound forge and showed her -- view, metadata, summary.  OK.  A minute later she runs back in, saying her Sound Forge refuses to run!  Gee, did I screw up by opening my Sound Forge?

If I try to open Sound Forge on her laptop, I get a message saying I need to register it.  I try to do this but it won't work.  I uninstalled, reinstalled, and it still refuses.  I reset the registry to an earlier date, this took forever but finally finished.  I went into Sound Forge -- it worked!  But I exited, got a message saying the registry backup has an error, and guess what -- Sound Forge won't work.

Did I just commit an unpardonable sin?  How can I get this fixed?

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/19/2017, 12:18 PM

I would suggest uninstalling SF using a third-party uninstaller, which should remove the old SF reg entries.. a known cause of problems.

The free Revo Uninstaller always worked well in my experience

gary-tayman wrote on 7/19/2017, 2:45 PM

Thanks for your help, but no good.

I downloaded the Revo Pro free 30 day trial, installed it.  Uninstalled Sound Forge.  Then it asked me to check and remove several registry items and other tags.  I selected check all, then delete.  It then asked me to remove associated files.  Check all, delete.

I then reinstalled Sound Forge.  Opened it; it gave me the "register" page, so I clicked it and went through the routine.  I put in the serial number.  Then it went to the desktop without opening the program.  I clicked on the shortcut, got the same ol' register message, and refuses to go any further.

This is NOT funny.  I paid a lot of money for this program; I can't open it.  Can I get ANY support from Magix?

rraud wrote on 7/19/2017, 4:33 PM

I recall having to register SF11 manually ( as in 'from another computer') when the registration did not complete (Thank-you for registering SF.. or something to that effect). Otherwise check the SF Knowledge-base for this common issue. There may still be a leftover reg entry.

gary-tayman wrote on 7/19/2017, 6:18 PM

Well, I found something interesting.  I can run Sound Forge if I use Administrator mode.  I vaguely remember, maybe it was 11 might have been 10 or 9, when Windows 7 came out, I upgraded -- and for whatever reason I had to use Administrator mode for Sound Forge.  I forget what happened, but eventually it was fixed.  In this case, it's awkward but at least usable.

condex wrote on 7/28/2017, 7:10 AM

If your registration problem relates to 'elevated privileges', please see:

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/registration-of-sound-forge-pro-11-0-requires-elevated-privileges--1191835/