recording using Magix Studio 14. I am having difficulties getting midi to work using an M-Audio Uno. I am also having problems switching from microphone to line-in.

jksonsmith wrote on 10/10/2008, 6:01 AM

I just bought Magix Studio 14 and installed a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Sound Card in my computer.  I am having difficulties getting the mic to work.  I will go through all the normal steps and it would not work.  When it starts to work, I'm not sure what I did to get it to work.  If I try to switch to line-in recording, I go through the same frustrating process.  If I try to switch back to mic recording, the same thing happens.

I have not been able to get midi to work at all usinig an M-Audio Uno interface.

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 10/10/2008, 8:54 AM
Hi,
We'll get this solved - your recording should not be a frustrating process. First confirm it's not a problem with your SB X-Fi by plugging in your mic and testing. You should hear audio through your speakers. If not; DOUBLE click the speaker icon in your system tray and un-check the mute by mic. If you can't hear it outside of MM14 then you can't record it once it's running. Now on to MM:

Initially you should set up MM14 to use the SB as it's preferred interface. This can be done via the playback parameters menu and will also affect recording. Once done you should choose the "driver" MM will use. Your best choice is to use the Creative ASIO driver and not the Magix ASIO. Creative is sometimes quirky with their drivers and you're best to use theirs. Simply select them from the drop down menu in the same playback parameter area of your settings. After that you can select mic or line-in either in the main Windows control (by double clicking the speaker icon in your system tray) or in the advanced/volume control in the record dialog screen of MM: Once you click record and are faced with the dialog... many setting can be done from there.

There isn't nor should there be any frustrating process to go through. Once it's set up you should be fine.

As far as MIDI; again your MIDI device must be set-up in the settings of MM14 by default it will select either your SB X-Fi or some version of Microsoft software playback. Choose your M-Audio device and make sure you gear each track for midi prior to recording.

Of course... read that manual as it will provide much help with these settings.

I'll just say that the SB X-Fi is a gaming card and not really geared for recording. Most of them have a shared 1/8 mic - line-in jack. The 1/8 stereo plug is contrary to pro audio recording and will introduce headaches. A pro recording interface can be had for a similar amount of money and once you hear the difference you'll never go back!

Justin