Recording streaming audio from a radio station

Lester-Szego wrote on 12/12/2021, 1:02 PM

Hello Community! I have Sound Forge 15 on my PC with Windows 10. I have been using Audacity to record streaming audio but would like to be able to use Sound Forge. The problem is the recording level which at the moment is barely audible during playback. How can I raise the recording level for recording?

Comments

rraud wrote on 12/12/2021, 2:21 PM

Record-what-you-hear... On many soundcards, like the Realtec, one needs to increase the Stereo mix (properties) input level under the recording tab, If that is maxed out, increase the 'speaker/headphone' (output) volume which also affectrs record volume going to Soumd Forge. The record volume cannot be adjusted from within Sound Forge and needs to be done at the source.. which in the 'record-what-you-hear' scenario is usually the Stereo Mix output and/or input.

If it is still not loud enough after recording, the file can be normalized to a higher amplitude (volume).
You can also increase Sound Forge's playback volume in the "View> Hardware Meters" volume fader, but that would not change the file's amplitude like normalizing.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge group @Lester-Szego .

Lester-Szego wrote on 12/13/2021, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the reply and information! I will apply your tips and see where it gets me...

xman_charl wrote on 12/13/2021, 2:44 PM

Me use Ocean Digital...a black box...internet radio

line out

headphone

CC++ recorder connects to black box...okay for recording...

CC++ playback quality not that good

playback on my cell phone, sound quality is superior

my 2 cents

rraud wrote on 12/13/2021, 5:05 PM

line out, headphone, CC++ recorder connects to black box...okay for recording...CC++ playback quality not that good

That figures,, going through multiple amps, D/A, back to A/D to render in SF and back through the D/A convertor again for playback (I cringe just thinking about it) .
Internet radio though a browser (or a desktop app) on the same PC as Sound Forge records (what you hear) at good quality.

Lester-Szego wrote on 12/13/2021, 5:19 PM

I followed your advice with turning up the computer volume and did a test recording...thanks for the excellent feedback @rraud. I usually record a three hour program every Sunday involving acoustic music using Audacity. However I found that Audacity is 32 bit and I use Sound Forge 64 bit which I discovered creates a little lag when trying to edit a audio format from Audacity...so I decided to see if it was possible to record using Sound Forge 64 bit and thanks to you I now can!

rraud wrote on 12/13/2021, 5:35 PM

Glad it helped you.
btw, to maintain quality, save and edit the recording in the PCM <.wav> format which is a lossless format. After the editing is complete save your master PCM file, and encode MP3 (or other lossy file types) for the end users and/or internet streaming,
If you have some MP3 files already, that need editing, enable "Always proxy lossy formats" in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu. which increases efficiency with lossy formats in SF.

Lester-Szego wrote on 12/13/2021, 5:42 PM

Thanks, I have been saving as mp3 because it takes up less space, although I do prefer quality...😁. I will try your recommendation! Many Thanks @rraud

rraud wrote on 12/13/2021, 6:08 PM

After the final MP3s are encoded the master PCM files can be deleted. btw, if there is no stereo content (as in most spoken word material) A single channel (mono) PCM file would be half the size of a two channel PCM.
If the same file is encoded as mono CBR, 320kps MP3, the file will have the equivalent quality of 740kps. In my sum and difference experiments with spoken word files, cancellation is 90dB or better, close to lossless and any difference is inaudible. YMMV some with music files though sicne the content is more complex.