Recording my VST's

ellis-e wrote on 7/15/2020, 9:29 AM

I'm at a total loss. I have a Focusrite scarlett 212 external soundcard which is USB'd into my computer. I do not have any speakers so I listen to every thing via headphones plugged into the 212.

What I want to do is record everything I hear out of my headphones?

My Soundforge preferences for both playback and recording are "Focusrite USB ASIO"

I have an XLN Piano vst which I want to record but whilst I can hear it in my headphones I can record what I'm playing?
Can anybody advise me.

My windows sound settings are set to "Focusrite speakers (Focusrite Usb Audio)" for both Input and Output.

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/15/2020, 11:38 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge forum @ellis-e.

- What version of Sound Forge are you using?
- Are the instrument VSTs running through the Focusrite?

Sound Forge Pro and Sound Forge Audio Studio (SF AS) are audio editing applications and do not natively support instrument VSTs. I would look for mult-track DAW app the supports instrument VST plug-ins and MIDI.

You can try setting your audio device playback to the Classic Wave or MS Sound Mapper to playback through your PCs speakers. "Options> Preferences> Audio> Audio Device type" (playback tab).

You could also record 'what you hear' in SF, if your PC supports that patch, Look for "Stereo Mix" or something similar in your sound card's input settings.

Note, the above applies to SF Pro, SF AS is similar though the menu differs some.

ellis-e wrote on 7/16/2020, 4:42 AM

Thanks rraud
I'm using version 13
I have purchased an impulse 4 midi controller and downloaded a stand alone XLN-Audio Grand Piano.
Back in the day I was able to hook up my Korg Triton to the soundcard and record that. I used Audacity for that.
Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated. I will endeavour to go through your suggestions. Cheers