recording directly from bass guitar input

Andy-Rankin wrote on 3/27/2021, 12:04 PM

I am a beginner with recording. I have been trying for a long time now to record bass tracks via usb on samplitude music studio 2020. The video makes it look easy but despite following video I cannot get the system to record. Samplitude assumes a lot of prior knowledge.

I am using a HP laptop with windows 10

I bought the Guitar /USB cable it did not help get a recording track.

I bought the audio interface Behringer UM2 still no luck. How do I get an idiots guide record my bass tracks?

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/27/2021, 4:38 PM

@Andy-Rankin Please make a screenshot of all your audio settings inside the program settings.

Andy-Rankin wrote on 3/28/2021, 7:27 AM
Thanks for taking the time to help

SP. wrote on 3/28/2021, 7:57 AM

@Andy-Rankin Thanks.

Please try some other option.

1. Select Magix Low Latency.
  2. Click on Settings
  3. Click on the wrench icon
  4. Activate all inputs and outputs of your Behringer interface that should be listed there.
  5. Check that the driver outputs and inputs are listed and checked under Audio Devices.
  6. Connect your guitar and headphones/speakers to the Behringer interface
  7. Select a track to record on and make a right click on the record button and check if the input is selected, Stereo or Mono (in your case it is best to change this to Mono) is selected and Audio Record is selected. Then click on Record. The record button symbol now looks pressed and shows a red light.

8. Activate Monitoring if you want to hear your playing from inside the software (in case you use effects). Be sure your Behringer interface has Direct Monitoring switched off in this case (Button on the front). I think you don't need monitoring activated inside the software if you just use your Behringer by having Direct Monitoring enabled and if it is enough for you (without effects). This helps to save some CPU load.
  9. Start recording.
Andy-Rankin wrote on 3/30/2021, 12:36 PM

Thank you for your help and support . I followed your instructions but when I hit the wrench the options do not include any Behringer options. I downloaded from their website but its not showing there.

The audacity software works but I want to use samplitude. I attach a screenshot of what options I hav when selecting wrench icon.

Behringer shows me there's a signal but it's not making it through computer to magix.

SP. wrote on 3/30/2021, 1:18 PM

@Andy-Rankin Maybe install the ASIO4ALL driver and select that inside Music Studio. It is nearly the same as Magix Low Latency. But sometime devices don't show up in Magix Low Latency but they show up in ASIO4ALL.

emmrecs wrote on 3/30/2021, 1:20 PM

@Andy-Rankin

I downloaded from their website but its not showing there.

Downloaded what, from whose website and where is it not showing, and what is "it"???

Looking at the Behringer web pages for your interface I see quite a range of downloadable software. Although the Magix Low Latency driver is a "version" of ASIO4All I wonder whether you actually need the full version that is downloadable from that Behringer web page?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Andy-Rankin wrote on 3/30/2021, 2:35 PM

Sorry, I downloaded Asio4all from behringer but its CODEc that keeps showing.

Thanks for your help.I have a go at using your advice.

emmrecs wrote on 3/30/2021, 4:28 PM

@Andy-Rankin

I suspect that the “USB Audio Codec” is actually your Behringer interface so, if no audio is getting through to Samplitude, and having taken another look at the details of the interface, I wonder whether the problem is that the Jack socket requires a higher signal level than your bass guitar is outputting? If that is the source of the problem (and I see the jack socket for the UM2 is labelled only as Line Input, not Instrument Input, unlike other models in the products range) you will need to think about purchasing something like an Active Direct Injection (DI) box, which will raise the output level of your bass.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 3/30/2021, 4:29 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Andy-Rankin wrote on 4/2/2021, 6:32 AM

Thanks to everybody for their advice.

My Bass works on the Audacity programme but not on samplitude. It's not as simple as Magix make out. Their advertising is shameful. System more complicated than it should be. I'll just give it up. Poor poor show Magix Samplitude. I wouldn't recommend your software to anybody.