Recommendations for professional video editing software?

eddiehotaling wrote on 7/13/2011, 5:31 PM

I work at a professional recording studio that has been trying to develop a video transfer/editing service. We use Samplitude Pro for recording so we had Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus around the studio and have been trying to learn our way around that program. It seems as though this program is not going to cut it, it's been more frustrating than expected. I know this is a Magix forum and I'm interested in what people have to say about Video Pro X3, but if anybody has any input as to how this program compares to professional video editing products from other companies I would appreciate any information you are willing to share. Thanks a lot!

Comments

blubb444 wrote on 7/13/2011, 5:49 PM

I don't know about professional high-end video editing software myself, but what I can tell you is that MEP14 is quite outdated. We're at version 17 now, with 18 to come soon. So if you want to, let's say, edit AVCHD videos with MEP14, it's very likely that you'll run into problems.

To find out which editing software suits you best, I think the best way is simply downloading free trail versions (most major producers offer these) and comparing them by yourself. Everyone has different needs/routines etc. when it comes to software so there can be no general recommendation for "the best" software.

cpc000cpc wrote on 7/13/2011, 5:56 PM

eddie,

Three quick comments -- I'm sure others will add their two cents.

First, MEP14+ was OK then, but if you were to stick with that series you really need to upgrade to the current 17+.

Second, I believe Video Pro X (now at version 3) is much better integrated with Samplitude than the MEP series. Sorry I didn't think of adding that to your WAV file question earlier.

Third, 'Try it out and see! You can download a demo version (good for 7 days extendable to 30) with most all feature but lacking the host of templates etc that are available in the box set or after purchase. Main omission is probably the MPEG4 encoding codec because of licensing issues.

If you are register for the Magix Samplitude & Sequoia Forum  check also the 'Video Deluxe' section. 

Regards,

Carl

yvon-robert wrote on 7/13/2011, 6:39 PM

Hi,

They exist no best software, the best software is the one you know and use. Leaning curve is generally the same from one software to the others. Naturally if you pay 10 times the price for a software you are convicted that you have the best in your hands. Personally I found not too much difference between Magix 17 plus and a product like Avid Studio 1. Costly software have more training DVD that you can purchase, more options that you can also purchase and more integration between the high class software. Color correction, green screen, menu creation are the most featuring of high class software because these functions are much more power full.

Regards,

YR  

artsmith wrote on 7/16/2011, 12:55 AM

Eddie,

I have used both MEP17 Plus, and Video Pro-X 1.5. I have also used MEP15 Plus, and, compared with the later feature-rich v17, I found it to be a bit 'light' on goodies. But then, with 'MEP17 Plus', we have been spoiled for choice. The reason why I use 'MEP17 Plus' in preference to 'Pro-X 1.5', incidentally, is that I prefer the longer timeline of MEP17 Plus. As for the 'gingerbread', templates, transitions, etc. I don't even download them. They are the way to make your video look like everyone else's, plus, most of the themes have an 'American' bias, which we, here in New Zealand don't subscribe to, necessarily. the only sdignificance here, about the 'Fourth of July', 'Memorial Day' and so-on, is that there may be a 24-hour sale in the US as a means of stimulatring 'interest' in the 'product' and if the New Zealand dollar is 'on-a-roll' at the time, it's a good time to be buying. Of course, we do celebrate our own veterans, on 'ANZAC-Day' in NZ, but its not a day for celebrations or 'commerce', but quiet reflection, in view of the fact that in WW1, Li'l ole NZ contributed more in lives to the war-effort per capita, than any other country on the planet. However, back to the point, you could not go-wrong with either 'MEP17 Plus' or the current 'VPX'. I'd be trialling the cheaper option first, however.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, New Zealand.  

Vesku wrote on 7/17/2011, 10:29 AM

If you look at professionally made videos and movies, you can see that they very seldom use some "fancy" transitions and the like. They are just disturbing and amateurish. The things that really matter most are image quality and ease of use of the software. In addition, of course, it is important that unexpected crashes of the software are rare. Personally I am very pleased with MEP 17+ HD. There surely is no absolutely best video editing software, but I know from experience that some companies make really BAD software that crash all the time ;). I don´t care to mention the names, although they are well-known.