Previous Audio Error (still a problem)

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/2/2024, 11:11 AM

This is a sort of follow up to the last post I made refering to the problem I'm having with MM, as I've yet to find a solution to the problem. I tried the solutions that people were trying to present to me, to the best of my ability, but since I am not tech savvy, I may not have executed them with the desired solution. I tried to explain the problem, without really knowing or understanding what the problem was, to the best of my ability but may have failed at doing so which I apologize. However, since this is a problem I have not been able to fix, MM has been completely useless to me and all it's doing is taking up space on my laptop.

Which is why if I'm not able to find a solution, then I will be deleting the program and all it's corresponding files, regardless of the chunck of money I've spent on it. If no one is able to help me solve my problem, please let me know all the files I will need to delete so I don't miss any.

Before I resort to that however, please give your suggestions (and please try to keep them as simple as possible so even my dumb self can understand, thank you!) before I make that decision, because while I am frustrated, it is a good program and I've liked using it up till this point. I'd hate to delete a good program, especially one I've put a decent amount of money into, to waste, but I will if I have to.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/2/2024, 12:43 PM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

Assuming you log on to your computer as 'User'.

The folder Music Maker is looking for where it thinks the files are, is the Music 'library folder' you see as shown below. Check the files are there using Windows File Explorer

If the files are there then, does Music Maker find the files if you use the Folder option in the File not found popup and browse to the folder if you can see it directly as Music and then into the subfolders where the WAV files are?

Added: If you cannot see the Music folder directly, then browse to the folder path given in the popup starting from the C: drive working your way through the file path folders - they are seperated in the file path with the \ character given in the popup.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/2/2024, 12:56 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/2/2024, 2:05 PM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

Assuming you log on to your computer as 'User'.

The folder Music Maker is looking for where it thinks the files are, is the Music 'library folder' you see as shown below. Check the files are there using Windows File Explorer

If the files are there then, does Music Maker find the files if you use the Folder option in the File not found popup and browse to the folder if you can see it directly as Music and then into the subfolders where the WAV files are?

Added: If you cannot see the Music folder directly, then browse to the folder path given in the popup starting from the C: drive working your way through the file path folders - they are seperated in the file path with the \ character given in the popup.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

I did look into the MM soundpool folder there, and it was empty for some reason, even tho I'm 90% sure all downloaded soundpools were in that folder. I copied and pasted a few of them into said folder to see if that would make a difference, and it did not. So I tried going into MM again to see the popups I got again, and went into the folders the program can't seem to access. Everythings there from what I can see, and there's no "protection" on any of the folders from what I've seen but somehow the program thinks they are? I'm very confused.

SP. wrote on 6/2/2024, 2:45 PM

@Riley-Coach The simplest way is to start Music Maker as administrator. Make a right click on the program icon and then select this option in the right click menu.

If the write-protected error message then goes away, there is definitely a privilege problem with your Windows user account.

Some manufacturers seem to create a privilege limited user account, if you bought a computer with Windows pre-installed.

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/2/2024, 5:53 PM

@Riley-Coach The simplest way is to start Music Maker as administrator. Make a right click on the program icon and then select this option in the right click menu.

If the write-protected error message then goes away, there is definitely a privilege problem with your Windows user account.

Some manufacturers seem to create a privilege limited user account, if you bought a computer with Windows pre-installed.

Ok, so this seemed to work! SO, how do I find the privilege problem, and get rid of it??

johnebaker wrote on 6/3/2024, 4:50 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

Going back one step, I can see in your second video clip that there is a link to the Vocal Atmospheres folder that Windows has saved as shown in the screenshot taken from your second video clip.

Looking at your third video clip, it looks like you are saving the projects, and probably the missing files, in the wrong place ie

The highlighted section of the file path above looks to be part of this file path:

C:\Program Files\MAGIX\Music Maker\32

If so, this is the wrong location and is the cause of the issues you are having. This is a protected folder location and should not have any user generated files, folders etc in it.

All files you create should be inside your Documents folder, sound files such as the Vocal Atmospheres are also best stored in folders within your Documents folder.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/3/2024, 4:51 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

browj2 wrote on 6/3/2024, 7:32 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi,

Let's back up a little more.

You say that you have "put a decent amount of money into" the program, but looking at the startup screen, you only have the free edition. If you purchased some Editions, they should show up on the startup screen unless you registered the program under a different email address. Your email address is your user name with Magix. You should only have one account. If you change your email address, Magix, like your bank, doesn't know that unless you tell them.

Here is what I see. You can see all of my purchased and activated Editions since 2016.

So, did you purchase Editions with one email address and then install Music Maker with a different one? Note that Premium Editions and other editions are not the program. The program is free.

In the first image of your post at 3:05 pm, it shows that the program is trying to create an H0 file in the public Soundpools folder. This should not be happening. The temporary files, .H0 and .HDP should be created under your user Documents, Magix, which is where you project files go:

C:....\Documents\MAGIX\Music Maker\AudioTemp

Please post a screen shot of your Program Settings, Folders tab page.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/3/2024, 10:29 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

Going back one step, I can see in your second video clip that there is a link to the Vocal Atmospheres folder that Windows has saved as shown in the screenshot taken from your second video clip.

Looking at your third video clip, it looks like you are saving the projects, and probably the missing files, in the wrong place ie

The highlighted section of the file path above looks to be part of this file path:

C:\Program Files\MAGIX\Music Maker\32

If so, this is the wrong location and is the cause of the issues you are having. This is a protected folder location and should not have any user generated files, folders etc in it.

All files you create should be inside your Documents folder, sound files such as the Vocal Atmospheres are also best stored in folders within your Documents folder.

John EB

Yes, it appears that file new file that I made in the video did save to the location above, though I'm not sure why or how. While my other files appear to be in the right location. I should be able to just move the new file in first screenshot to the location in the second screenshot, yes? How do I make sure the files go to the right location? how do I fix the program from doing this?

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/3/2024, 10:35 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi,

Let's back up a little more.

You say that you have "put a decent amount of money into" the program, but looking at the startup screen, you only have the free edition. If you purchased some Editions, they should show up on the startup screen unless you registered the program under a different email address. Your email address is your user name with Magix. You should only have one account. If you change your email address, Magix, like your bank, doesn't know that unless you tell them.

Here is what I see. You can see all of my purchased and activated Editions since 2016.

So, did you purchase Editions with one email address and then install Music Maker with a different one? Note that Premium Editions and other editions are not the program. The program is free.

In the first image of your post at 3:05 pm, it shows that the program is trying to create an H0 file in the public Soundpools folder. This should not be happening. The temporary files, .H0 and .HDP should be created under your user Documents, Magix, which is where you project files go:

C:....\Documents\MAGIX\Music Maker\AudioTemp

Please post a screen shot of your Program Settings, Folders tab page.

John CB

I do have the premium version, though it doesn't always show up on the home screen which I'm not sure why, but I do have it.

I'm not sure why the program is trying to create temp files where it's not supposed to be, how do I get MM to create/send files where they should be going?

johnebaker wrote on 6/3/2024, 11:51 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

. . . . I'm not sure why the program is trying to create temp files where it's not supposed to be . . . .

This can be caused by:

• The program has been told to use those folders, this occurred either by changing the destination folder during install, or changing them manually after install.

or

• Your Documents folder location has been moved to a location where it should not be..

Please post as screen shot of the Program Settings, Folder tab.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/3/2024, 11:51 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/4/2024, 10:41 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

. . . . I'm not sure why the program is trying to create temp files where it's not supposed to be . . . .

This can be caused by:

• The program has been told to use those folders, this occurred either by changing the destination folder during install, or changing them manually after install.

or

• Your Documents folder location has been moved to a location where it should not be..

Please post as screen shot of the Program Settings, Folder tab.

John EB

This?

browj2 wrote on 6/4/2024, 12:07 PM

@Riley-Coach

Hi,

As suspected, you've made a nice mess for yourself. Standard rule, never, ever put project files, personal files, etc. under Program Files. Never! Removing a program or reinstalling a program could wipe out your files.

When you installed Music Maker, it would have proposed the correct location, under your Documents\MAGIX\Music Maker...

You need to change the paths of Projects down to Recordings to the correct location as above, or on another drive, and then carefully move all files that you have put in the wrong locations (Program Files) to the correct locations. You will likely have a problem when opening existing projects as you will have to indicate where some of the files are located.

Before doing so, I suggest that you show us the full path to your document\MAGIX\Music Maker, just to make sure.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 6/4/2024, 12:46 PM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

In addition to @browj2 comment, which is also what I suspected, when creating new folders in your Documents folder do not use [ and ] on the folder names, while they are legitimate characters you can use they may cause issues resulting in the file paths being incorrectly read. Stick to the characters a-z (upper and/or lowercase), numbers and the hyphen ( - ) and underscore ( _ ).

The default locations on a correctly installed Music Maker are:

In your case, change my name to your 'User' name.

I would also add that, if you have files and folders of files on your Desktop, you also move them into your Documents folder. The Documents folder is a special folder protected from Windows resetting items such as the Desktop, which, if it does get reset, will result in the loss of files and folders present there.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/4/2024, 12:52 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/5/2024, 2:31 PM

@Riley-Coach

Hi,

As suspected, you've made a nice mess for yourself. Standard rule, never, ever put project files, personal files, etc. under Program Files. Never! Removing a program or reinstalling a program could wipe out your files.

When you installed Music Maker, it would have proposed the correct location, under your Documents\MAGIX\Music Maker...

You need to change the paths of Projects down to Recordings to the correct location as above, or on another drive, and then carefully move all files that you have put in the wrong locations (Program Files) to the correct locations. You will likely have a problem when opening existing projects as you will have to indicate where some of the files are located.

Before doing so, I suggest that you show us the full path to your document\MAGIX\Music Maker, just to make sure.

John CB

Do you mean this?

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/5/2024, 2:33 PM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

In addition to @browj2 comment, which is also what I suspected, when creating new folders in your Documents folder do not use [ and ] on the folder names, while they are legitimate characters you can use they may cause issues resulting in the file paths being incorrectly read. Stick to the characters a-z (upper and/or lowercase), numbers and the hyphen ( - ) and underscore ( _ ).

The default locations on a correctly installed Music Maker are:

In your case, change my name to your 'User' name.

I would also add that, if you have files and folders of files on your Desktop, you also move them into your Documents folder. The Documents folder is a special folder protected from Windows resetting items such as the Desktop, which, if it does get reset, will result in the loss of files and folders present there.

John EB

I believe I got them right. And I've been, hopefully, moving the files to where they should be, but I'm still getting the same popups.

johnebaker wrote on 6/6/2024, 5:10 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

. . . . I believe I got them right. . . . .

Referring to the image above, in Windows File Explorer when you click Documents (magenta arrow) and open the Magix and in the location indicated by the red rectangle is where your project files and audio files should be, If you created a subfolder in the above location and put the files there, that is also OK.

Note - the numbers of the 2 folders indicated by the red starts may be different depending on the version you have, do not change these.

If all is correct, then in the Music Maker program settings, the options below need changing to the correct folders as I previously showed here - using the folder icon to the right of each entry to browse to the new locations.

HTH

John EB

Riley-Coach wrote on 6/11/2024, 11:16 AM

@Riley-Coach

Hi

. . . . I believe I got them right. . . . .

Referring to the image above, in Windows File Explorer when you click Documents (magenta arrow) and open the Magix and in the location indicated by the red rectangle is where your project files and audio files should be, If you created a subfolder in the above location and put the files there, that is also OK.

Note - the numbers of the 2 folders indicated by the red starts may be different depending on the version you have, do not change these.

If all is correct, then in the Music Maker program settings, the options below need changing to the correct folders as I previously showed here - using the folder icon to the right of each entry to browse to the new locations.

HTH

John EB

Yes, MM program setting look exactly like this, as shown above, and my files look very similar to your example, and yet I still get the same pop-ups. I'm at a loss.

SP. wrote on 6/11/2024, 12:15 PM

@Riley-Coach Try the following. Make a right click on a folder in Windows Explorer > Properties > Security and check which groups and users can access the folder. There should be listed your SYSTEM group, your Windows user account, your Windows Administrator group and all three should have full access (all checkmarks under the Allow column, except the checkmark for Special Permissions).