Pre-purchase question - Movie Edit Pro MX Plus

JayGee716 wrote on 8/23/2012, 5:59 PM

I emailed sales yesterday but have yet to receive a response.

I'm just really starting to work with video. Heretofore my experience is limited to converting from one format to another, removing/replacing sound using MS MovieMaker, etc..

I was wondering whether Movie Edit Pro MX Plus supports batch processing to remove the sound from multiple video clips as well as converting formats. 

Because I've been using free utilities up to this point, I have been limited to working with single clips. I have a couple of hours of video clips from various village functions that I want to work with, improve and post on the village's web site which I maintain. 

I'd rather do everything within one application and with the price break on this product, it seems like it might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help!

Jack

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 8/24/2012, 1:46 AM

Hi

MEP does hve a batch convert option.  However why would you want to do this if MEP can import the file format and allow you to edit?

You can then edit the clips however you wish muting the sound adding effects, transitions, music, titles etc and produce/export the movie to a file, DVD etc.

Why not download the trial version of MEP, register it, download the extras  and extend the trial period to give you 30 days to try it.  If it does what you what then purchase it. 

Read the installed pdf manual thoroughly - this is a must - any problems on usage during or after purchase this forum is the place to come for help.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/24/2012, 1:46 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

terrypin wrote on 8/24/2012, 2:11 AM

Hi Jack,

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I'm not clear what you mean by 'batch processing' clips in the context of editing video clips. As you'll have seen from your use of MS MovieMaker, multiple clips can be selected before aplying changes. That's true of all video editors AFAIK.

As shown here
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/MEP-EditingClipsJack-1.jpg

I've selected two sound clips and I can now simultaneously delete them, change their volume, etc. Is that what you mean by 'batch processing'? Similarly, I could make some changes collectively to a multiple selection of video objects, or to both video and audio, such as fading their starts and ends, etc.

There are other changes I might want to make, such as adding effects, which are usually applied to individual clips, and that normally makes sense. You wouldn't necessarily want to raise the brightness or contrast of all your village clips by exactly the same degree, for instance.

@John: Morning John. We must have both been composing our replies at around the same time, in my case while eating breakfast!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last changed by terrypin on 8/24/2012, 2:14 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)

johnebaker wrote on 8/24/2012, 11:44 AM

@Terry

Good afternoon - hope the corn flakes didn't get in the keyboard .  It always surprises me at work what we find in them - the best so far has been bits of chocolate hobnobs.

Jack is taliking about batch conversion and removing the sound track at the same time - I understand he has been using other software to do the conversion and then using MS moviemaker to remove the sound. 

I assume the conversion is necessary so that MS MM can import the file - is this correct Jack?

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/24/2012, 11:44 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

JayGee716 wrote on 8/24/2012, 2:06 PM

Wow! Thanks Terry & John!!! By "batch processing" I did mean working with multiple clips--carry-over from my days as a programmer in COBOL, AS/400 CL & RPG....

As I think I mentioned, I developed and maintain the web site for the small village in which we live in Western New York state, USA. This year, in addition to the regular still photos I take at every event, I started recording some video as well--Quite a bit of video, as it turns out. My digital camera takes pretty decent video but the sound is of poor quality so I want to remove it and replace it with some "finished" music, also edit and combine the clips into 5-7 minute segments, upload them to YouTube and embed them on our site, as I currently do with stills on photobucket.com. 

The free utilities I've been using for that will only remove the sound from one clip at a time which is pretty time consuming. MS Movie Maker (the Windows Live version, anyway) to me is a little clunky and has some idiosyncracies. 

Just thought Movie Edit might be a better alternative as I have been using Xara/Magix products for years and love them! Don't know why I didn't think about the trial.  Had surgery on my foot a few days ago. Guess the painkillers are getting to me.....

Thanks again!!

Jack

gandjcarr wrote on 8/24/2012, 4:54 PM

Hi Jack,

You can definitely import all of your video clips into Movie Edit Pro, un-group the audio from the video and delete the audio track, but why do that?  The audio provides some "ambience"  why not just reduce the audio volume on the audio track and put the music sound track in at a higher level.  It will give your video more of a "live feel" instead of a somewhat sterile slide show feel.  Just my opinion.

George

JayGee716 wrote on 8/24/2012, 6:15 PM

Thanks, George! I thought about that, too, but I'll just have to see. A lot of the video is from our summer "Concerts in the Park" series and the audio is pretty brutal and, because of the time disparity between clips, it's pretty disjointed. 

There are a few whose audio I'll definitely keep because at our annual Family Picnic this past Sunday, we had a couple of guys take turns at the mic to serenade us. It was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I was on the other side of the park at the water balloon toss and missed their duet. But I got their solo performances, at least!

I'm going to dive into that this weekend to hopefully have it "out there" by the first of the week.

Thanks again for the advice & have a good weekend!!

Jack

gandjcarr wrote on 8/24/2012, 7:50 PM

Hey Jack,

If this is really important, I have a lot of experience fixing really bad audio tracks and would be happy to help out if that would help your project.  I will give you my personal email if you want to contact me via private message.

johnebaker wrote on 8/25/2012, 2:01 AM

Hi

For adding 'atmosphere' I do one or more of the following:

1.   Make an audio recording of the general area eg in my favourite German town - Trier - their is a church in the market square with a magnificent set of bells which are rung for 15 mins on a Sunday morning. I recorded the entire 'sequence' and then used this as a background sound for the video/images of the town section of the movie.

2.  Use Atmospheres Deluxe to create various background sounds eg sea lapping against the beach, seagulls etc for videos for a video including scenes from Whitby (IMHO the most picturesque fishing town in the UK) - the original background audio had traffic sounds and needed to be replaced but keep some 'originality'.

3.  Use free audio loops available from the Internet.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/25/2012, 2:01 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

JayGee716 wrote on 8/25/2012, 4:26 PM

Thanks to you both, John & George. I thought I'd hit a rather large brick wall. When I play the clips on my PC, the sound is pure static, unlike when I played them back on the camera prior to transferring them (and subsequently deleting them). I was going to upload a segment of the audio (static) for you to hear but when I isolated the audio to mp3 format, it's fine. Well, not "fine" but it's workable. 

I'll try working with it and see how it comes out. George, I may yet take you up on your offer! Thanks!

And Thanks to everyone!

Jack