Popup ads when exiting program

Chris-Houg wrote on 1/10/2022, 10:34 AM

When exiting the program, the program closes and once closed, a popup will intermittently display with an ad. This is intrusive (especially since I paid for the pgm) and the first time I've seen it, owning this and other design programs over the years.

I've looked around and tried to find a way to disable them, but, there isn't anything in the options nor any of the menu items that I could find.

When it does pop up, I'll click the "Don't show this again" which just doesn't show the ad that is displaying, if a new ad comes out, it displays that.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/10/2022, 11:05 AM

@Chris-Houg

Hi

This is something that is becoming common practice with software developers - I have 4 non Magix, different brands of software, all paid for that have ad popups. 2 of them have no means of disabling the ad popups.

Fortunately Magix does have means of minimising the number of popups:

• In the program settings look for a Hide news or similar option.

• Uninstall Magix Cloud Import, also known as Magix Connect, Update Notifier or Network Sync.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Chris-Houg wrote on 1/10/2022, 12:48 PM

I had, and did again, go through the 12 tabs in the Options menu.  I also looked under Help as sometimes there's something there or on the About page, but, nothing.

There was a process called "updater" that was running from Magix.  I killed that but not sure if it's loaded when you click the check for updates button.  It isn't in my windows start up.

Also looked for any uninstall option for Magix Cloud Import, also known as Magix Connect, Update Notifier or Network Sync

Did find an option for Help >> Info popups with an option to turn the either all on or off, but, I don't believe that has anything to do with the advertisements, I had disabled it a couple weeks ago and an ad just popped up today when I closed the program.

I'm guessing there is probably an entry in the registry, but, searching for "xara" and "magix" didn't show anything obvious.

I looked for support but only found knowledge base articles and the forum, nothing to contact magix support directly and ask.

I recently purchased Photo and Designer for just one reason, it has the Magnetic Lasso tool.  For some reason it was disabled in Designer Pro X or they didn't add it.  I remember them advertising that X had everything that photo/designer had plus the web stuff but that wasn't there.

I wanted to do some things and the magnetic lasso tool made it much easier, so, the recent purchase for just that one thing was well worth it to me.  The other xara/magix programs I have don't have that popup either when the program is running or after you quit.

johnebaker wrote on 1/10/2022, 2:16 PM

@Chris-Houg

Hi

. . . . Also looked for any uninstall option for Magix Cloud Import, also known as Magix Connect, Update Notifier or Network Sync . . . .

The program should be in Windows settings, Apps - I have 2 versions installed Cloud Import and Connect as shown below.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Chris-Houg wrote on 1/10/2022, 2:32 PM

I don't have either of those apps showing up there, running Windows 10. Typed "magix" in the search box, nothing, tried with just "connect" or "cloud" and that didn't bring anything up either. "xara" showed designer 9 and 10, Photo & graphic designer along with its content pack.