Plugin settings not saving (This is NOT the 'adding to chains' bug)

Brackets wrote on 4/23/2022, 2:41 AM

Why is that every so often some plugins don’t remember changes and revert back to a default setting when re-opening a saved file?

It seems to predominantly happen with 3rd party plugins (like Waves Q10), although not exclusively.

As far as I can tell, it happens equally to plugins applied directly to tracks, buses and in assignable fx situations.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason; sometimes settings stick and sometimes they don’t.

Perhaps there’s a pattern I’m not seeing, or more likely, something I doing wrong. But I do know it’s frustrating constantly saving, updating and loading presets.

To be clear, this is not about plugins resetting when a new plugin is inserted into a chain. I’m aware of that, and the workaround solution. This is strictly about opening a saved file to find random plugins reset to default.

Any help would be welcome.    

Comments

Brackets wrote on 4/23/2022, 5:04 AM

It's a bug. This is the workaround:

https://www.magix.info/de/forum/vst-settings-return-to-default-when-loading-new-plugins-to-chain--1276352/#ca1678524

Cheers for the reply. Unfortunately,​​​​​​ as mentioned in the OP, this isn't about adding new fx to an existing chain.

This is about plugins that already exist, either on a track, a bus, or as an assignable fx. They have been adjusted to measure and the file is then immediately saved. However upon re-opening, some plugins have reset themselves to a default position. This happens to plugins that are on their own as well as those apart of a chain.

Brackets wrote on 4/25/2022, 7:18 AM

If anyone out there has any ideas...?

SP. wrote on 4/25/2022, 7:27 AM

@Brackets Can you reproduce this problem at will? In this case you could test, if it appears if you run ACID as administrator or with Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Brackets wrote on 4/26/2022, 6:58 AM

That's the thing, If I could produce it at will, I'd at least have a better than even chance of avoiding it.
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason; sometimes plugin settings stick and sometimes they don’t.

One thing I have noticed though, is that if a plugin remains intact on reopening, then it's likely to remain stable in the life of that file. Conversely, if a particular plugin has dropped it's settings on reopening, I'll then have to reinstate those settings every time.

And weirdly it could be the same EQ or reverb plugin etc.. In one position in the file the settings will stay, but say on another track or bus, the same plugin will refuse to keep hold of its settings. Very annoying.