PhotoStory 2013 Output file size

JayGee716 wrote on 1/17/2013, 9:22 PM

I'm considering PhotoStory Deluxe 2013 as an alternative to using photobucket.com to store pics and to embed slideshows on my site, We have quite a bit of unused server space but I have questions about PSD 2013 file size.

I know all of Xara/Magix programs are stingy with output filesize which is what I love about them. But what would (roughly) the filesize be for a slideshow with about 100 photos at 800x600 resolution and simple transitions? 

I'm not overly concerned at this stage about adding music or a lot of bells and whistles.If the output file is small enough I can look at that later. Just want to get a rough idea before I download the trial and invest any time in it. 

Hope I don't appear to be overtly lazy! 

Thanks so very much, as always!

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/18/2013, 2:54 AM

Hi

. . .  Hope I don't appear to be overtly lazy! . . . 

I do not think so  - this is a very good question, which rarely crops up, when trying to put video onto a website.

The answer depends a lot on your target audiences browsers and where you are publishing to.

PSD Deluxe version only, has export functions for the likes of Youtube, Vimeo etc and Online Album.  You could use for example the Youtube option but not upload the files. you would then need to locate where PSD has put the prepared files and use these.

AFAICS from the manual - PSD does not have a flash export option.

Other options are to export as mp4 or mpg  and upload these, however which you use depends on the destination, also mpg is more universal but gives bigger file sizes than mp4.

I would suggest Movie Edit pro 2013 would be a better bet than PSD as it has more export functions including Flash .  If you get hooked on video production then it will be a better investment from the start.

In either case try the download version first to check it meets your needs.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/18/2013, 2:54 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gandjcarr wrote on 1/18/2013, 6:20 AM

Hi,

I agree with John's comments.  As for file size, it really does not matter what resolution your photo files are, what is going to really determin your export file size is the total bit rate.

Here are a few 100 photo slide shows the two with "DSLR" in the file name are 4288x2848 resolution photos from a DSLR the ones with iphone in the title are 640x480.  The original file resolution has little to do with the export file size, it is all about bit rate and the lowest level of visual quality you can tolerate.

Both MEP and PS allow bit rate adjustment both MEP and PhotoStory 2013 Deluxe provide flash export, but really for the difference in price I would go with MEP because it gives you all of the flexibility to create slide shows using the same templates as PS, but you also have much more creative flexibility with MEP

George

JayGee716 wrote on 1/18/2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks, George & John!

I'll give each of them a try before I make a decision. I'd forgotten about Movie Edit. I think I have the MX version, can't remember. So many things I wanted to do last year but health problems slowed me down. Trying again this year...

George, your signature is exactly what I told every new employee I trained over my 20-odd years as a manager. 

Thanks so very much again!!

Jack