output two mono masters from each channel in a stereo recording

BSMan wrote on 7/7/2023, 7:34 PM

I have some "stereo" 4 track open reel tapes on which were recorded two different mono recordings on the left and right tracks. If possible, I'd like to play the tapes once and record both tracks as if they were a stereo recording and then in Samplitude. if possible, output the left and right tracks to separate mono files (or even to a stereo type file that was actually the same mono recording in the left and right channels. Is there a way to do this? I'm trying to avoid playing the original tapes more than once due to their age.

Bob S

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/7/2023, 8:19 PM

@BSMan 

You can

either record the stereo signal onto a single track and then convert the stereo recording to two single mono files via the File > Export menu

or

record each channel onto different mono tracks. Open the track settings of two tracks and change their mode from stereo to mono. Then select the input channel for each track. Arm both tracks and start recording. This saves you from converting the audio from stereo to mono.

Maybe try both approaches with some test audio first (not your old tape) so you know what works best for your setup.