Open MSP files

Wilson-Fong wrote on 1/27/2022, 10:43 PM

Hi there, I have been using MAGIX products for more than 15 years. Recently I need to use some material from my projects 10+years ago, having file extension with .MSP At the time the program was named something like Music Studio or similar.

But now the Samplitude Music Studio cannot open them (or recognise them).

I believe they were created long time ago, if needed I can attach one of the files for your reference. but the upload screen here does not accept it.

Asking for help. Much appreciated.

Comments

Graham-Hawker wrote on 1/27/2022, 10:56 PM

I believe Magix Music Studio was a very different product to Samplitude Music Studio so the only way to open them would be to find an old version and have a computer that can run it.

browj2 wrote on 1/27/2022, 11:08 PM

@Wilson-Fong

Hi,

I had Music Studio then Music Studio 2. From what I have, the project files were .VIP. Even Audio Cleaning Lab used .VIP project files.

I don't have any Magix files with .MSP extension.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

SP. wrote on 1/28/2022, 12:42 AM

@Wilson-Fong Up until Magix Music Studio 2006 there were two programs included. One program was Audio Studio that became the Samplitude Music Studio we know toady and one program was MIDI Studio which was based on Emagic Logic, now Apple Logic, and this program opens your MSP files.

I don't know if modern Logic Pro can open your files. If not, you would need to get the a CD version of some old Magix Music Studio and a computer with Windows XP. Maybe it works with Windows 7, but I'm not sure.

You need the CD because the copy protection only allows you to start the program if the CD is inserted in the disc drive at the first time the program runs.

Maybe it's possible to open the files with Emagic Logic for Windows. I think it's "easier" to find an old Windows version of this program than an old version of Music Studio.

AlwaysaPlanB wrote on 11/6/2022, 12:53 PM

I don't know if you got round to solving this but I have a copy of Magix Music Studio 2004 which will open msp files. You need to install it on the older Windows machine you have! Or you can try installing it in compatibility mode and pray you don't get the dreaded Opening External Sample editor hang up I sometimes get on starting it.

The other day, I saw an article about someone who had coded a version of Windows 95 for use on current machines and wonder if that might work.

Anyway, be in touch if you're interested. Alan