Old Izotope Plugins

Musition wrote on 10/11/2018, 6:56 PM

I recently built a new PC with all new hardware and a new install of Windows 10. One of the first things I did was upgrade to the newest Sound Forge (12) and the newest ACID (8). I had Sound Forge Pro 10 before. I really like the Izotope plugins that came with it: the "Izotope Mastering Effects Bundle 2". I still have the Sound Forge 10 installation CD. I installed the plugins again, but I cannot get Sound Forge 12 to find them. The were installed to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\iZotope\SoundForgeMasteringBundle

I went to Options->Preferences... and under the VST Effects tab I added that path to the "Default VST2 search folder", but they are not showing up. I used these plugins for a long time and I use them quite a bit. How can I use them in version 12?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 10/12/2018, 4:43 AM

Is version 10 32 bit only and version 12 64 bit? If so, and those iZotope plugins were "designed" for version 10, that is the reason!

However, there is a solution. Download and install the (low-cost) jBridge, allow it to "convert" your plugins so that, although still 32 bit, they can be used in a 64 bit environment.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 10/12/2018, 11:50 AM

"Is version 10 32 bit only and version 12 64 bit?"

- All versions of Sound Forge, prior to AS 12 and Pro 12 are 32 bit (x86). Pro 12 has both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. Allegedly... they can be installed concurrently but I have not tried it. The different Pro 12.1 versions can be downloaded from links in a post.

The Sound Forge / iZotope Mastering Suites 1&2 I have/had are DX (Direct X) and do not run in 64 bit SF Pro 12 .. or 64 bit versions of Vegas. My Ultrafunk DX plug ins will not run either, but the SCS legacy DX plug-ins run in all versions (go fiqure). I suspect the mastering suite will run in the x86 version of Pro 12. but I have not tried that either. I use SF Pro 10 (or 11) when I need a particular plug-in from the mastering suite.

Musition wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:03 AM

The Sound Forge / iZotope Mastering Suites 1&2 I have/had are DX (Direct X) and do not run in 64 bit SF Pro 12 .. or 64 bit versions of Vegas.

That really sucks. I used them quite a bit.

I thought 64 bit was supposed to be backwards compatible with 32.

...Since I still have the version 10 CD, I just installed it along side 12. Even version 10 cannot find the plugins it used to use with my old computer.

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 8:43 AM

I thought 64 bit was supposed to be backwards compatible with 32

Not so, if you are referring to plugins.

A 64 bit operating system can run 32 bit programs, but not vice versa. Plugin architecture requires that the host operating system match the bittage of the plugin.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 10/13/2018, 11:48 AM

Even version 10 cannot find the plugins it used to use with my old computer.

SF Pro 10 works great on all my PCs. (XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 10), aside from the occasional Win10 update forking up Sound Forge's elevated privileges)
If some of your VST plug-ins are not available, confirm the plug in's <.dll> files are in one of the VST effects search folders. (usually Steinberg and/or VST in 'Program files (x86) Some third-party plug-ins (Waves and Plug-in Alliance for instance) are placed in their own folders when installed. You must add these folders as an alternate VST search. "Options> Preferences> VST effects. This is not necessary with Direct X plug-ins.

However most third-party VST and DX plug-ins (including the iZotope Mastering Suite) will not be listed in the FX favorites by default. If you want them there, select 'FX favorites> Organize' to add them, or use the FX Chainer. The same goes for SF Pro 11 & 12.

Musition wrote on 10/14/2018, 3:55 PM

So I just ensured that there are in fact dll's in my SoundForgeMasteringBundle folder. Well technically they are in a "win32" sub folder. I just went back to both version 12 and 10. I changed the path to add the "win32". No difference. I'm not surprised. I'm reluctant to believe a VST search engine would not know how to handle sub-directories.

When I go to FX Favorites->Organize..., the plugins do not show up there either.

emmrecs wrote on 10/15/2018, 3:27 AM

Have you tried jBridge, as referenced in one of my earlier replies? 32 bit VSTs will never work in a 64 bit environment unless you use either a 32 bit version of your host DAW or are prepared to use jBridge, or something very like it, though I know of no alternative app.

rraud wrote on 10/15/2018, 11:44 AM

As I stated, iZotope's 'Mastering Effects Bundle for Sound Forge' is Direct X, so adding it to the VST search folders is futile.
Was the FX bundle installed prior to SF 10? If so, uninstall and reinstall the mastering suite, this should at least make it usable with the 32 bit SF Pro 10. If not, uninstall both Pro 10 and the IZotope FX bundle with a third-party uninstaller (Revo's Uninstall for instance), that removes an app's leftover registry entries. Then reinstall Pro 10, then the mastering suite. BTW, the iZ mastering FX bundle will need to be re-authorized. I'm not aware of any way to make the 32 bit 'Mastering Effects Bundle for Sound Forge' work with 64 bit Pro 12.

According to the website, "jBridge is an application designed for bridging VST plugins in Windows"... so it likely would not help DX plugs.

emmrecs wrote on 10/15/2018, 1:43 PM

@Rick Reineke

Sorry, I had forgotten that the iZotope Mastering Effects Bundle for Sound Forge is, indeed, DirectX so yes, jBridge is completely unsuitable! However for 32 bit VSTs in a 64 bit DAW, or vice versa, it is most definitely invaluable.

Musition wrote on 10/15/2018, 8:04 PM

As I stated, iZotope's 'Mastering Effects Bundle for Sound Forge' is Direct X, so adding it to the VST search folders is futile.

You're right. You did mention that. My apologies for my impetuousness. It was a much too busy weekend for me.

I don't know if rebooting helped, but for whatever reason, Sound Forge Pro 10 can now access the plugins. It's not ideal that I cannot load them in 12, but it's better than no access to them at all...

Musition wrote on 10/21/2018, 9:17 AM

I concur 😀. I'm going to try the 32 bit version SF Pro 12 when I get a chance.

So when I downloaded the installation executable, I saw I had the choice of a 32 or 64 bit install. I assumed I could only pick one. Can I install both?

emmrecs wrote on 10/21/2018, 9:49 AM

@Musition

Can I install both?

Yes!

fherr wrote on 1/13/2019, 10:57 AM

Hello! Just found this thread, thank you for the information, which helped! I just upgraded Sound Forge Pro from 10 to 12 and first installed the 64-bit version, and was initially very disappointed that I couldn't get the Izotope Mastering Effects Bundle into the FX Favorites menu - I use it a lot in SF10!

Happy to report that I've just also installed the 32-bit version of SFP12, and now they're there! Yay! Very happy. I thought it was a licensing restriction, but I see now that it was just a 32 vs 64 version limitation. Thanks again.

Former user wrote on 5/17/2019, 6:56 AM

"Is version 10 32 bit only and version 12 64 bit?"

- All versions of Sound Forge, prior to AS 12 and Pro 12 are 32 bit (x86). Pro 12 has both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. Allegedly... they can be installed concurrently but I have not tried it. The different Pro 12.1 versions can be downloaded from links in a post.

The Sound Forge / iZotope Mastering Suites 1&2 I have/had are DX (Direct X) and do not run in 64 bit SF Pro 12 .. or 64 bit versions of Vegas. My Ultrafunk DX plug ins will not run either, but the SCS legacy DX plug-ins run in all versions (go fiqure). I suspect the mastering suite will run in the x86 version of Pro 12. but I have not tried that either. I use SF Pro 10 (or 11) when I need a particular plug-in from the mastering suite.

64-Bit matters mostly for plug-in compatibility, but most VST plugins are still shipping VST2 and both 32- and 64-bit plugins.

Those iZotope plugins are really old (6+ year old, or something?), and are outclassed [easily] by their Elements products, these days. You can get those as low as $9.99-29.99 on sale, pretty routinely. They ship with VST2/3 plugins, 32- and 64-bit, as well as AAX. You'll have the same tools across all of your Audio/Video Products, without the need to switch builds to access them. That's better workflow efficiency.

Sound Forge is, to me, most useful as a companion to a DAW like Samplitude Pro Suite or an NLE like VEGAS Pro - which can launch it as an external editing or destructive Wave Editing/Cleanup. But for something like Samplitude, you barely need it for the effects it has... since the DAW has effects that are generally better than those in Sound Forge, anyways. It's mostly for the specialized tooling the application has for wave editing (which go beyond the Wave Editing in the DAW, or the Audio Editing in an NLE like VEGAS Pro).

MAGIX routinely runs sales on Samplitude Pro Suite for like $149 (includes Sound Forge Pro 11, and SpectralLayers 4 [rarely]). Most people won't see a need to upgrade.

Audacity only just upgraded to 64-Bit like a month or two ago... and apart from Apple removing 32-Bit support, I don't think many of their users saw it as "absolutely necessary." Most people don't edit audio files so large that 32-Bit becomes a problem.