Okay to uninstall Cloud Import after a 2024 MMS Platinum upgrade?

pmikep wrote on 4/21/2024, 12:01 AM

Hi All:

Glad to see the old gang still here, that you haven't succumbed to the COVID shot.

Old Man long story first. (My main question in the Subject.)

I have barely used my old 2019 Movie Edit Pro Plus over the years. But I edited some video for the Total Eclipse that we had here (U.S.) and my usual editor, PD, couldn't (or I couldn't easily) do what I wanted.

So I opened my ancient MEP and edited the video easily. (I have always preferred the UI in Magix to anything else that I've used, even tho it's sometimes "clunky.")

But, as usual for Magix, it took "forever" (relatively speaking) to encode the final product.

So I was curious whether recent versions of MMS were any faster. (Albeit on my old i5-9400 and GTX-1650 Super.)

Then MAGIX offered an upgrade to 2024 MMS Platinum for 20 USD. Such a deal! (IIRC, it's what I paid a few years ago for the 2019 upgrade, altho that came with Mercalli stab. The upgrade that I bought didn't.)

In the sometime American mentality of "Ready, Fire, Aim," I bought the upgrade to MMS.

And then I came to the forum, only to find that MAGIX is up for sale/could go out of business.

Oh well. Hopefully they got most of the bugs out of this version. (Although I never had any crashes during what little editing I did with the 2019 version.)

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be any faster at encoding MP4. (Two times the length of the video. Although, to be fair, that's with image stabilization.)

(Altho, as I write this, I decided to try HEVC. To my surprise, it's included now (maybe because of the Platinum version?) and is using my GTX to encode the video at 2x real time. Maybe I'll start using MMS more now?)

So, my question: Although MMS installed less garbage than it used to, I have a MAGIX Cloud Import thing. I don't have anything in the cloud. Okay to uninstall it?

Also, in the "old" days, we had to play tricks on MEP with the Windows' Graphics setting to force it to use the (low power) Intel GPU. I haven't done anything with this new install/upgrade. Should I?

Started with MEP 11, then 17, then MX, then MEP 2013, 2015, then 2016. Changed to the fast competitor after that, which worked fine with my non-Intel hardware. Then bought a used Dell with an Intel GPU, just to play with MEP again. Installed MEP 2020 Plus in March 2020, even tho I don't like losing patches if I have to reinstall after a year.

Testing on a Dell Vostro, <s>i3-8100</s> updated to i5-9400 w/ UHD 630, 16 GB 2400 DDR4 (CL15), Win10 Home, heavily NTLite'd. Now with GTX-1650 Super OC'd. Added a WD Blue M.2 for OS (PCIe 3), Apps, Temps and Video-In. 2 Monitors. A WD Blue SSD for outputs. (SATA III.)

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 4/21/2024, 1:10 AM

@pmikep

Hi Mike

Welcome back.

. . . . MAGIX Cloud Import thing. I don't have anything in the cloud. Okay to uninstall it? . . . .

Magix Cloud import can be uninstalled.

. . . . play tricks on MEP with the Windows' Graphics setting to force it to use the (low power) Intel GPU. I haven't done anything with this new install/upgrade. Should I . . . .

This is no longer necesary - MMS has its own options in the program settings Device options tab - the Import, Processing and Export options. From the export times you are achieving it sounds like they are set correctly.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/21/2024, 1:11 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.