Non destructive editing

FSR wrote on 3/13/2021, 3:44 PM

Howdy everyone, Jeffrey here in Seattle. I have a question about sound Forge Pro, how does one enable non-destructive editing? that is to say, The best way I can describe it is like any other Daw program when you are working within a waveform and say delete something out of the middle of the waveform the act should create a line in the waveform thus creating two regions now.  indicating that area where you edited so that you can then grab that spot and drag it back out or drag it back in to finalize or fine-tune your edit. Or for instance, if I just grabbed the end of the waveform I should be able to drag it to the left and then drop it right where I want to finalize the end of the waveform or if I change my mind go back grab that and of the waveform and pull it back out and then let go. Am I missing something here in this product? This is a function found in every other DAW for the last 15 years or longer in some cases. 

it's got to be here and it's just not turned on I have poured through the preferences which are very few really compared to like say Pro Tools or digital performer or sonar or Mark of the Unicorn Steinberg Jones products but in those programs, this is by default I'm available function immediately in any audio editor that I've ever laid my hands on in the last 15 years and is the basic function of most or all audio editors that are placeholders in the world of audio editing and I'm shocked that I have to ask this question but I need really to get an answer to it. Any help is appreciated.

If Sound Forge does not provide this function then truly I think it's a stretch to call it an audio editor of the breed of audio editors that i and my colleagues are familiar with working in.

Without this basic function, I'm not sure what sound Forge really is then I find a stretch to call it an audio editor though.

JTH

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/13/2021, 4:56 PM

Assuming you have Sound Forge Pro.. "File> 'Save as' a Sound Forge Pro Project file (.frg). This will create a new folder and media files along with a project file. When you are satisfied with your editing, mastering or whatever, go to "File> Render as" and choose the file format, name, ect. and execute.

An SF project takes a little longer to open than in standard (destructive) editing mode, but once it's open, there's little to no difference.

btw @FSR, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum.

condex wrote on 3/14/2021, 5:07 AM

@rraud  ... thank you for highlighting the .frg function - I wasn't fully aware of what it can do. The only thing is that the undo function seems not to work with .frg if the originating media is .avi unless, I suppose, it has first been saved as .wav or another audio only codec. With .frg in mind, I'll delete my earlier comment.

condex wrote on 3/14/2021, 7:06 AM

If Sound Forge does not provide this function then truly I think it's a stretch to call it an audio editor of the breed of audio editors that i and my colleagues are familiar with working in.

Without this basic function, I'm not sure what sound Forge really is then I find a stretch to call it an audio editor though.

@FSR  ... did you try the trial version first before purchasing?

Like buying anything in almost any field, not every product is going to meet everybody's need. You are clearly used to high-end audio DAWs - and they offer much different functions to Sound Forge Pro. DAWs like ProTools are multi-track and multi-channel DAWs - Sound Forge Pro (SFP) is a 1 track multi-channel audio editor, The differences should be apparent to someone so familiar with DAWs.

If you are after editing functions as you have outlined in your first paragraph, Sound Forge Pro does not look like it is going to be a good fit for your needs, and you will likely need to continue using the other DAWs that you are using that do apparently meet your editing needs. There's nothing wrong with that - the same approach applies to buying a car or choosing a new home either rental or buying. The cars and accommodation that don't meet your needs are not intrinsically bad cars or houses/apartments - they just don't appeal to your wants.

Just an observation - if you are using other DAWs like ProTools, why did you purchase Sound Forge Pro?

rraud wrote on 3/14/2021, 10:35 AM

The AVI <.avi> (video) file extension is a wrapper (or container) and can have many different audio and video file codec combinations. Most AVI video files I have encountered, have embedded 48k PCM audio, same as <.wav>. I have not worked with AVI files in the non-destructive SF project file mode.