Comments

rraud wrote on 7/8/2021, 12:42 PM

It depends on which version of Sound Forge 12 you have (Audio Studio or Pro).

The noise reduction tools in Sound Forge Audio Studio 12 are installed with the main program. It is not a separate install item like with SF Pro. I am not sure which menu they are under in AS.

For SF-Pro 12, download the installation manager at Magix Service Center> My Products. There is an option to install the 64 and/or 32 bit Noise Reduction Pack (aka, NR-2.0). After installation, the NR tools should be available in the 'Tools', FX Favorites and plug-in chainer menus. Reinstalling SF is not necessary.

Later versions of Magix SF Pro also included the iZotope RX Elements noise reduction plug-ins, which basically has the same tools as the NR-2 pack (noise reduction, click/crackle remover and clipped peak restore). FWIW, the Magix NR pack is a Direct X plug-in, iZ's RX is VST.

btw, @Bernard-Goldbach in Ireland, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum .

Bernard-Goldbach wrote on 7/9/2021, 4:41 AM

Thanks, rraud! A few years ago, I downloaded and installed Sound Forge 12 Pro but must have unchecked the noise reduction option because I had Izotope installed on a laptop I owned in 2018. So I'm downloading the SF12 installation exe to see if I can get the familiar noise reduction option I've used for years.

I plan to use a few weeks this summer to thumb through the SF Manual because I've never read the 300 pages before and I'm sure there are things I never realised I wanted to do with the program. I've used the package since the late 90s but mainly for multi-track editing and fills.

rraud wrote on 7/9/2021, 11:17 AM

You are welcome. I do not think there is much instruction for the NR pack in the SF manual, and I cannot find the original NR-2.0 manual (if there ever was one). FYI, NR-2.0 was originally an optional purchase around the time of Sound Forge 5 or 6 as I recall.
Unlike iZ's RX Elements, there is no 'auto' mode in NR-2,0, so capturing an accurate 'noise print' is key for the 'noise reduction' tool, which can attenuate HVAC, distant traffic and other 'din' type noise.

xman_charl wrote on 7/9/2021, 11:56 AM

prefer this plugin, much better than sound forge denoise...

Walter.I wrote on 7/9/2021, 3:52 PM

I plan to use a few weeks this summer to thumb through the SF Manual because I've never read the 300 pages before and I'm sure there are things I never realised I wanted to do with the program.

Here is an article with an explanation of noise reduction - unfortunately in German:
https://www.magix.info/de/support/artikel/noise-reduction--189/

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111