No way to crossfade??

mark-d4532 wrote on 6/14/2022, 6:34 PM

Why doesn't Soundforge provide a method of crossfading regions? Referring to Magix documentation (http://soundforge.helpmax.net/en/basic-editing/crossfading-events/) First, you cannot drag one "event" over another. Not that I have found a way to do, in any case. Hovering the cursor over the upper right corner of an "event" never changes the cursor into the crossfade symbol shown in this documentation. Crossfading works perfectly in my version of Vegas (10, pre-Magix), but it confounds me that something so basic as crossfading is seemingly impossible in Soundforge.

Comments

craig-d wrote on 6/15/2022, 2:39 AM

hi @mark-d4532, and welcome! there are ways to crossfade...and i drag one event over another all the time in SF....you just have to use the 'Event Tool' instead of the 'Edit Tool'...the event tool should be on your toolbar at the top of your interface (of course, you may have customized your toolbars, if so, then you'll just have to search for it...its a dotted-line square with an arrow on the bottom right corner...click that icon and you can grab whole sections of audio and drag them wherever you want them...also, the fade options are in the corners of the sections when you highlight them with the Event Tool. just set markers around the section you want to move, then grab them with the event tool and you should get what you're looking for. the user manual can also help you work that out. i hope this helps!

rraud wrote on 6/15/2022, 3:13 PM

You can also enter the 'Event' and other edit modes in the "Edit> Tools" menu. Alternately, the keyboard "D" key will toggle though them on the toolbar.
The Event tool's settings can be found in the 'Options' menu, which include 'auto x-fade and 'auto ripple'.

mark-d4532 wrote on 6/15/2022, 3:58 PM

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I have already read this in the manual and SF doesn't behave that way for me. When I click on the Event tool in the toolbar, the entire soundfile is highlighted in blue and clicking and dragging does not move anything, nor does the cursor change from an arrow to a hand (the usual convention for grab tools). Perhaps it is my workflow? I create regions containing the audio I wish to keep. Add those regions to the playlist, then "convert to new" from that playlist to create a new, edited audiofile. In certain circumstances (nature ambience) I need to crossfade these regions, but as above stated, clicking on the "event" tool does not result in the behavior that the manual describes.

mark-d4532 wrote on 6/15/2022, 6:30 PM

Ok I have discovered the answer to my own question. I post it here to help the next frustrated person ;)

Following my workflow as in the above post, I noticed when I enter "event" mode, as soon as I click anywhere in the soundfile, it turns blue (highlighted). I zoomed out and discovered the entire soundfile is highlighted. I happened to right-click and saw "Split regions" as one of the context-menu items. I clicked that and now I can drag and move individual regions and of course, now I can cross-fade them!

rraud wrote on 6/16/2022, 10:42 AM

Tips:
- The "S" key will also add a split point to an event.
- Dragging the top edge of waveform display downward can attenuate the gain of an event...

both the above are the same in Vegas Pro.