No sound from Midi keyboard; ASIO driver not working

S.C. wrote on 9/7/2023, 6:45 AM

Hello everyone. I just got Music Maker 2024, and straight away I've run into issues with the Midi keyboard that I hope someone here might have an answer to? The keyboard doesn't make any sound, and neither does the playback when I record notes off the keyboard. I am using Windows 11, and I don't have a physical Midi keyboard, just the one that comes with the program.

I've already dug around both this forum and in other places of the internet and the answer seems to be eluding me. So far I've gathered that it's some kind of setting with the "ASIO driver", but for some reason I don't seem to even have the option to enable that. I've got some screenshots showing what I'm dealing with.

Whenever I try to enable ASIO I get the error message shown in this screenshot:

Advanced settings also seem to be no help (I can't interact with any of these buttons anyway)

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me with this. πŸ™‚

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/7/2023, 6:50 AM

@S.C.Β Yes, without an ASIO driver you won't be able to play your virtual instruments live. Since you cannot switch to an ASIO driver I recommend you restart your computer once. Please select the Restart option and not the Shut down option. I hope that you can switch to the Music Maker ASIO driver after doing this.

S.C. wrote on 9/7/2023, 7:54 AM

@SP. Thanks for your answer! I tried what you said and still seem to be having the same issue. Do you think I should try reinstalling the software? When I first installed it, I unchecked the box for "additional softwares"; do you think that might have something to do with this?

Thanks again! πŸ™‚

SP. wrote on 9/7/2023, 7:58 AM

@S.C.Β No, the additional software is not necessary.

Instead of reinstalling you can also try to reset the program settings under the File > Settings menu.

johnebaker wrote on 9/7/2023, 8:58 AM

@S.C.

Hi

What is the make and model of your PC motherboard?

Added: Are there any other audio devices, eg Nvidia High Definition Audio, installed and being used.

Are you using the genuine Realtek drivers ie from Realtek or the Windows 11 drivers?

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/7/2023, 10:25 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

S.C. wrote on 9/8/2023, 7:22 AM

@SP. I tried what you said and reset the program settings (I tried to pick several drivers on the way back in and none made the keyboard make sound; "Wasapi" even made Music Maker crash, whoops!) Now I've got sound coming out of playback when I record, at least! But the keyboard itself still doesn't make any sound. :\ I'll attach another screenshot of the current settings I have because I'm not sure what I did to make playback sound come out. But it's progress maybe?

@johnebaker Do you mean, which manufactuer for the motherboard, or something else? As for other audio devices, I don't think I have any, other than my headphones. I'm also not sure about the "genuine Realtek" drivers or how to tell, but my headphones, microphone, and speakers say "Realtek(R) Audio" in the settings, so probably genuine? I'm not super computer-savvy but I'm doing my best. πŸ˜…

Here's a screenshot of my current settings that have enabled playback sound... somehow!

Thank you very much for your help, everyone! ☺️

emmrecs wrote on 9/8/2023, 8:19 AM

@S.C.

In your very first screenshot, with the ASIO button highlighted, you have a choice of two ASIO drivers installed. Did you try selecting/highlighting/clicking on each one, one at a time? Ideally, you would be using the "Music Maker ASIO" driver.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 9/8/2023, 1:52 PM

@S.C.

Hi

. . . . Do you mean, which manufactuer for the motherboard . . . .

Yes and the model number.

If you are not sure open Device Manager by pressing the Windows button, then type Device Windows will search and find the Device Manager as shown below - this is Windows 11, Windows 10 will be similar - and open it..

Once Device Manager is started click the Computer section - top arrow in image below, your motherboard details will be displayed.

The sound card driver details are also to be found in Device Manager as shown below:

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

S.C. wrote on 9/8/2023, 3:27 PM

@emmrecs Yes, I tried that many times, but whenever I do so it always seems to revert itself back to "None" immediately, and/or give me the error message in my second screenshot about no asio drivers being selected.

@johnebaker Some more screenshots here; perhaps this is the info you were looking for? My sound card stuff seems the same as yours. Thank you for that video walkthrough, that's very helpful. πŸ™‚

Β 

SP. wrote on 9/8/2023, 5:07 PM

@S.C. It would be very odd that both ASIO drivers aren't compatible with your sound device. But maybe they are and you need an external USB audio interface with its own ASIO drivers.

johnebaker wrote on 9/9/2023, 12:24 AM

@S.C.

Hi

I am in agreement with @SP. the behaviour you are getting would suggest that ASIO connection to the audio chipset is not possible.

I can find no information on the capabilities of the ASUS laptop audio drivers or audio chipset which definitively say ASIO is/is not supported.

John EB

S.C. wrote on 9/11/2023, 3:54 PM

Hi again everyone, I've been doing some research and I've found this, "ASIO4All", which might solve this problem? Does anyone know about this and/or might anyone recommend trying it? https://asio4all.org/

Thanks again for all the help! I'm not giving up on getting this program working, ha. πŸ™‚

SP. wrote on 9/11/2023, 4:06 PM

@S.C. it's worth a try. Simply install it, restart your computer and then start Music Maker and select ASIO4All in the Music Maker program settings. If this is possible then click on the Advanced button to open the driver settings. There you can enable or disable the inputs and outputs you want to use