No master audio signal in midi track only project

Luca8650 wrote on 2/28/2024, 3:24 PM

Hi there,
I imported a few tracks from a MIDI file into a new Samplitude VIP project. The idea is to use my external device (a Roland Juno DS) to assign an instrument to each MIDI tracks and play the notes already present in there.

I have no trouble getting all tracks to be played by the right instrument, indeed I can hear my project being played nicely when I plug my headphones into the Juno-DS. The problem I have is doing a recording, because there is no Audio signal reaching the master track, even if every MIDI track clearly shows the signal when the notes are played. I tried a lot of different things and cannot really understand what is wrong. I thought that it would work fine with the ASIO driver, but it does not. I am attaching a few screenshot to show the latest settings. I hope someone can help.
The ultimate goal would be, if possible, to simply export the whole project as a WAV file, which is what I usually do when not using an external device.
Thank you so much

x

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/28/2024, 5:24 PM

@Luca8650 Is the audio output of your Juno connected to your computer and is it selected as an input of a track?

Luca8650 wrote on 2/29/2024, 1:18 AM

@Luca8650 Is the audio output of your Juno connected to your computer and is it selected as an input of a track?

I believe the connection is fine. The setup is as in photo. I have a USB midi connection (cyan circle) as well as the juno output connected to laptop with a usb adapter (red circle). At least that's my understanding of how it works! I have always been able to record midi tracks in FL studio using this setup. It must be an issue with the Samplitude settings...

Also, looking at photo 1 in my first message, I would say the juno is correctly selected in the tracks?

SP. wrote on 2/29/2024, 2:42 AM

@Luca8650 If the Juno plays the MIDI notes it is connected fine. But Samplitude needs the audio signal back from the Juno as well. Can you show us a screenshot of your Audio Setup settings in Samplitude, too?

Usually, you should have selected an ASIO driver. I don't know if the interface in your photo has it's own ASIO driver.

If not, then select the Magix Low Latency driver or the FL Studio ASIO driver. Set the Monitoring Mode slider below to Mixer FX Monitoring Hybrid Engine. Click on the Control Panel or Settings button next to the driver selection to open the ASIO driver settings. Here, select your audio interface as the input and your speakers as the output device. Set the sample buffer size to something reasonable like 512 samples.

Create a new track and enable the record button in the track header so it gets the audio signal from your Juno. Make sure the track is set to audio recording and not MIDI recording.

Does this help?

Luca8650 wrote on 2/29/2024, 3:53 AM

@Luca8650 If the Juno plays the MIDI notes it is connected fine. But Samplitude needs the audio signal back from the Juno as well. Can you show us a screenshot of your Audio Setup settings in Samplitude, too?

Usually, you should have selected an ASIO driver. I don't know if the interface in your photo has it's own ASIO driver.

If not, then select the Magix Low Latency driver or the FL Studio ASIO driver. Set the Monitoring Mode slider below to Mixer FX Monitoring Hybrid Engine. Click on the Control Panel or Settings button next to the driver selection to open the ASIO driver settings. Here, select your audio interface as the input and your speakers as the output device. Set the sample buffer size to something reasonable like 512 samples.

Create a new track and enable the record button in the track header so it gets the audio signal from your Juno. Make sure the track is set to audio recording and not MIDI recording.

Does this help?

Thank you so much. I was trying to follow these instructions but got a bit lost, and still I see no signal in the master. I am sending a few more screenshots. Not sure if I know how to set audio recording in the tracks. I clicked on "track options" and there selected "audio" under section "record", see screenshot 2. Is that correct?

master.

SP. wrote on 2/29/2024, 4:14 AM

@Luca8650 Yeah, set the track to audio in the track options. On the screenshot it's set to MIDI.

Be sure not to record audio on the tracks where your MIDI objects are located. Use empty tracks instead.

Next, please open the Samplitude system settings and navigate to the Audio settings and open the driver settings and make a screenshot of them. I see you have selected the FL Studio ASIO driver. So far, so good. But we need to know what input is selected or which other inputs are available in the FL Studio ASIO driver settings.

Luca8650 wrote on 2/29/2024, 5:01 AM

Ok, I have set all tracks to audio now. Here is another screenshot.
Just to make it clear again, I would like to just do an easy export to WAV, playing the notes in the MIDI objects. That is the final goal

SP. wrote on 2/29/2024, 5:45 AM

@Luca8650 Ok, the driver settings look good. You can set the Monitoring Mode slider to the rightmost position to enable the Mixer FX Monitoring Hybrid Engine.

But I see in your screenshots, that you have enabled recording on a track with MIDI. That is not how it works.

For example, in case you have 5 tracks with MIDI data, tracks 1-5. You set your Juno as the MIDI output for track 1-5 and select the respective MIDI channel.

On track 6 you enable audio recording and select In1+In2 (FL Studio ASIO) as the input.

Then you start the recording. The MIDI data is send to the Juno, the Juno plays it sounds and they get recorded on track 6. You stop the recording after the end of your song and export track 6 as a WAV file.

If I understand it correctly, you want to simply export the project as an audio file without recording the audio first?

Luca8650 wrote on 3/2/2024, 3:33 PM

@Luca8650 Ok, the driver settings look good. You can set the Monitoring Mode slider to the rightmost position to enable the Mixer FX Monitoring Hybrid Engine.

But I see in your screenshots, that you have enabled recording on a track with MIDI. That is not how it works.

For example, in case you have 5 tracks with MIDI data, tracks 1-5. You set your Juno as the MIDI output for track 1-5 and select the respective MIDI channel.

On track 6 you enable audio recording and select In1+In2 (FL Studio ASIO) as the input.

Then you start the recording. The MIDI data is send to the Juno, the Juno plays it sounds and they get recorded on track 6. You stop the recording after the end of your song and export track 6 as a WAV file.

If I understand it correctly, you want to simply export the project as an audio file without recording the audio first?

Hi, and sorry for the late reply. I followed your instructions and could record all the misi tracks one by one, solving the problem. Thank you so much for helping me out!