New Install of SF17 and problems

Moejazz wrote on 4/5/2024, 5:58 PM

Hi, need help. Just got SF17 and have discovered some issues. I'm a sort of casual user. I've used SF before to put together music and commentary for an internet radio show, so nothing too complicated. I'm having two major issues that I can't resolve. First, the recorder is not set. I went to Preferences - Audio-Record. Device Type is Microsoft Sound Mapper --Recording Device Routing -- all channels say ERROR. If I change the other two Device Types, it still says ERROR. (I am concerned that this may be an issue with Windows 17 which is also newly installed. There doesn't appear to be a recorder installed.) The second issue is saving files. They are not saving to stereo. EG, I put a few musical songs together to create one hour. I see two tracks then. When I save the file, it then appears as a single track.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/5/2024, 7:34 PM

@Moejazz Windows security blocks audio recording. You need to first enable microphone access in the Windows security settings before a software can record something.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-camera-microphone-and-privacy-a83257bc-e990-d54a-d212-b5e41beba857

rraud wrote on 4/6/2024, 11:37 AM

When I save the file, it then appears as a single track.

In the 'Save' or 'Save as' dialog window, did you first select a Stereo template? For instance:
btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Moejazz.

Moejazz wrote on 4/6/2024, 12:21 PM

"Facepalm!' I thought I had gone over everything. Thanks rraud.

Moejazz wrote on 4/8/2024, 5:19 PM

I have still been unable to set preferences/audio/recorder for SF17. I decided to install Audacity and see what that would lead to, and same thing. It's not recognizing any kind of recorder on Windows. And that makes me think I definitely have an issue with Windows 11. I tried the suggestions in this video, https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=windows+11+no+recording+devices#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:cbd574a5,vid:5H3d31HjzL8,st:0, and nothing helped. This doesn't bode well for my plans to move to a simple digital audio interface to record my commentary for my radio show.

Another thing: is there a way to make the fonts in SF larger? I can barely read the time markers and things like that.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

SP. wrote on 4/8/2024, 6:34 PM

@Moejazz Are audio devices listed in the Windows Device Manager under Audio-, Video- and Gamecontrollers and Audio Inputs and Outputs? Something like Realtek High Definition Audio, Intel Display Audio, Speakers, Stereo-Mix?

You can audio open the Windows Sound settings with pressing WIN+R on your keyboard, then typing mmsys.cpl and pressing Enter. Look under the Playback and Recording for devices (also via right click menu).

rraud wrote on 4/9/2024, 10:54 AM

Is there a way to make the fonts in SF larger?

Experiment with the 'Properties> Compatibility'> DPI settings in the SF <.exe> or launch shortcut'.
If that does not help sufficiently, I changed my 4k monitor's resolution to 1920x1080 and increased the DPI %. But that makes most everything on the PC display larger.. which is desirable for my old less-then-perfect eyes.

Moejazz wrote on 5/21/2024, 6:45 PM
  1. My earlier posts dealt with the fact that I could not see anything in Options/Pref/Audio/Record but error-error-error. There was nothing to let me record anything coming into the computer (Windows 11) using SF 17. I tried all the earlier excellent suggestions (thanks for those!!) but still remained unsuccessful. I was able to get that capability recording in Audacity, so I knew it had to be possible.
  2. So I let it lie there until I came across a post somewhere about using a virtual audio cable. Installed one, VB Cable. Made the appropriate move in Windows Setting/Sound, and it now appears in Options/Pref/Audio/Record but only if I switch to Windows Classic Wave Driver from Microsoft Mapper. I also switched to the VB cable in the advanced box.
  3. When I try to record something in SF, I can see a grayed out section moving across the window but there's nothing being recorded. What have I missed?
  4. I should point out that I am running two quality stereo speakers through a Technics receiver into the input on the back of the computer. It's always been the system I use.
  5. As always thanks in advance for taking the time to respons.
john_barr wrote on 5/21/2024, 7:17 PM

@Moejazz

Have you activated all input devices?

john_barr wrote on 5/22/2024, 2:43 PM

Test Sound Forge by connecting a microphone directly to the motherboard's audio input.

Moejazz wrote on 5/22/2024, 7:40 PM

Hi, John thanks for both of your responses. To your first, yes everything seems to be there and activated. To this second one: I actually did get some sound waves showing up in SF when I tried the microphone. It's barely functioning, very poor audio, but I did hear my voice. I guess that's some sort of progress. My recording microphone has an XLR plug. I don't know if there's a suitable adapter to a 1/8 cord. (I record through a board.).

I don't Skype or use Zoom on this desktop, so haven't needed a mic..... yet.

john_barr wrote on 5/22/2024, 8:01 PM

Do you use an audio console for recording similar to this?

Moejazz wrote on 5/22/2024, 8:16 PM

Yes. I use a Zoom R16. Save to a SD disk. Take that to the computer. Edit in SF, add music tracks and a show emerges. The Zoom has digital interface capability but really haven't bothered with that.

john_barr wrote on 5/22/2024, 9:43 PM

I don't know how to configure this type of equipment. Maybe @rraud can help.

Moejazz wrote on 5/22/2024, 11:12 PM

Not overly worried about the Zoom at this point. I would just like to enable SF to record audio that streams through the computer. If I can't get that happening, a digital interface won't work. Thanks for your interest/

rraud wrote on 5/23/2024, 10:39 AM

I would just like to enable SF to record audio that streams through the computer.

Search this forum for "Record what you hear". There are many comments on this subject.