New artist here. First album, I need help, please!

AdrianV wrote on 3/6/2024, 4:33 AM

Hello,

My name is Adrian and I enjoy creating electronic music.

As I am kind of new to this game, I have looked online at various platforms and tools, to empower me to sell my music. Since I am new to the game, I have no current fanbase. I am also a bit confused as to what would be the best strategy to ensure that I can start selling my music as soon as possible, and also make sure that I will get paid for it. I do not mind paying a percentage from my music, as long as I am making money. Also, I do not mind paying a fee, as long as I am going to pay, ideally no more than 300 EUR in my first year, and, by spending that money, I can ensure that I can make a decent profit.

For now, I do not have any online followers, I do not have any social media fanbase, nothing. I just have a passion for music, a few songs ready for release, and a willingness to invest my time and money into this, so that I can pursue my hobby at a professional level.

I am planning to release maybe 5-6 albums this year and I want to make a living from my music.

I guess, my questions are:

1. If I am going to use an online distribution service, will this bring me any revenue in any way? Or is it not sufficient to generate interest in my music?

2. Is music marketing and promotion something that I need to treat separately?

3. What would be, in your opinion, the best route to take, in order to make sure that, once I distribute my music online, people will actually discover it and listen to it?

Thank you so much! Any help / suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Adrian Voinea.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/6/2024, 5:03 AM

@AdrianV You will likely not earn any money by releasing your own music online. Streaming services pay pennies and each day so much new releases come out, that nobody will find your albums.

So either do it for fun or try a different business model.

I would guess you need to play a lot of live gigs with your own music or as a touring member in another band or as a street or studio musician to earn a significant income.

Additionally, you might be able to earn money by teaching kids how to play instruments, as a songwriter for other artists, as a composer for movies and video games, as a mixing or mastering engineer, etc.

You could do on-demand-work for clients via websites like Fivr or Patreon.

johnebaker wrote on 3/6/2024, 5:24 AM

@AdrianV

Hi

I am in agreement with @SP.

If you are determined to go down this route and 'make a living' out of it, then there is a lot 'stuff' you need to know about:

For Copyright, Licensing, Promotion etc you should be talking to a professional adviser with experience in this area - this will of course have a cost to doing this..

With respect to the 'tools' you use, be aware of limitations.

For example, loop based compositions may be subject to both Commercial licencing fees and Copyright limitations, additionally they are often frowned upon by 'pro distributors'. The loops, included in Music Maker program and its Editions, are for personal use only. For commercial use, you need the appropriate licence. You never have absolute Copyright on the loops used, only the composition itself providing it is 'an original work', however you may be subject to copyright claims from other users who have used the same loops.

Ideally, our creations need to be 'original works', ie written/composed and played by you.

Reworking other published music requires express permission for the Copyright owners - just because it is on the Internet does not mean it is Copyright free.

Using Music Maker compositions made using the VSTi instruments have no restrictions for commercial use, except for one - you cannot use the midi samples that are loaded onto the timeline when you drag an instrument onto a track.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

AdrianV wrote on 3/6/2024, 5:32 AM

Right,

So, I forgot to mention that I have commercial rights / commercial license for the soundpools that I am using.

Even so, what you guys are saying is that, for example, is that, in my situation, it would not be a wise decision to use services such as Distrokid, Dittomusic, etc, because I will waste my money, correct?

By the way, on top of those costs, I will also have to pay taxes in my country, so, I am thinking if my business model is profitable or not.

Thank you so much, guys, I appreciate your feedback!

SP. wrote on 3/6/2024, 7:12 AM

@AdrianV Some distribution services might refuse to release music made with loops or often used samples. You can try to use the loops only as an inspiration and recreate them in your own style with virtual instruments. By doing this, you can usually get around these problems.

If you're in for the long game, like releasing one new song every week or every two weeks consistently(!) in the same style/genre over multiple(!) years you might be able to create a decent following of listeners who can generate you a nice amount of streaming income.

I would guess, that nearly all artists are not able to achieve this and quit early. It's hard to be consistent and motivated for three years without getting anything in return, but it might work out after that. It's like the YouTube grind, that prefers channels which release content regularly (and burns out the creators in the long run).

But this still might not be enough as your only income but certainly can be a very nice bonus. In case you get a viral hit, it's also important, that you already have additional songs released, so the people can listen to something else from you, or else this chance might be wasted. The more songs the better.

AdrianV wrote on 3/6/2024, 8:07 AM

Hi, all,

Thank you very much for your kind and quick replies, I really appreciate it!

So, to sum things up:

1. Making money from music is a long term game, it is not easy to make it as your main income stream

2. Selling music online is hard, and it takes a long time to be profitable

3. Even if you have commercial rights for the software and loops/samples, your music can still be refused, because too many artists are using the same samples

4. I don’t have a problem with releasing music on a regular basis, as long as that will lead me to a nice outcome in less than a year, let’s say. However, you are saying that this is very unlikely…

5. Distributing your music on many platforms can yeald no results, unless you also promote your music, correct? Also, promoting music can mean a separate cost in and of itself, also with no guarantees…

So, short term is a very risky game, you can approach this as a side gig and hobby and be patient for many years, until it can bear fruit, correct?

johnebaker wrote on 3/6/2024, 9:14 AM

@AdrianV

Hi

. . . . approach this as a side gig and hobby and be patient for many years until it can bear fruit . . . .

That is, IMHO, the best approach.

Good luck.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.