Negative latency for a MIDI track?

joachip wrote on 11/29/2018, 1:41 PM

Scenario: I have a lot of audio tracks and one single MIDI track which sends midi notes to an external synthesizer which is then routed back into an audio track which has monitoring (loudspeaker icon) enabled so that I can hear it.

Midi has a bit of latency, and so does anything going in or out of a soundcard. The total latency is appx. 12 ms in this case, and I wanted to get rid of that. So I tried specifying -12 ms latency for the MIDI track (instead of having to delay all the other tracks by +12 ms).

This is where I noticed something odd. Negative latency values are interpreted as positive values for MIDI tracks.

A test that shows it very clearly is to have a VSTi playing a click in the left side, and then having an external midi synth playing a click in the right side. Then try entering either -9000 or 9000 samples latency for the MIDI track. Both will delay the midi by 9000 samples.

Is there some elegant way to make Samplitude send out MIDI notes 12 ms earlier?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 11/30/2018, 3:21 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

Since your question is specific to Samplitude, can I suggest you register at and repost to the dedicated forum here.

I understand there were difficulties accessing that site earlier but all seems to be functioning normally now.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

joachip wrote on 12/3/2018, 6:11 AM

Oh, it's back! Perfect. Thanks.