Need to clarify something about usage rights

Tepearley wrote on 12/26/2017, 1:23 AM

Hi, I’m new and just wanted to clarify something about usage rights. I’m just starting to play around with Music Maker and would love to eventually make my own music and soundscapes to use in my YouTube videos. I created my channel for fun and it is not intended for commercial or business purposes (although ads may run on it in the near future). I want a unique sound so I’ve only been sampling one or two loops out of a variety of soundpools. The mixes sound completely different than the original soundpools as they were downloaded. I also have no intention of selling any music I make. Do I still need a licence to use my mixes even though they sound different than the original soundpools? If so, do I have to get a licence for everything I use even for the ones purchased in the store?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/26/2017, 4:45 AM

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

See this article on using Soundpools for commercial purposes.

. . . . although ads may run on it in the near future . . . .

In a nutshell - if you, or a third party, are getting income from the videos ie by sales or ads are in your videos, or ads are present in your YT (or any other host) channel, this is defined as commercial use.

In this case you will need the appropriate commercial licences from Catooh - see here for the various types of licence, for all Soundpools which contain a loop used in your videos.

If you search the forum you will find this topic has been covered in more detail elsewhere.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.