Need help setting up

PSD wrote on 2/8/2024, 4:00 PM

Hi Forum,

I’m from the UK and I recently brought MAGIX Video Saver 2023, firstly can someone please advise if this is the latest version. I brought off an eBay seller who advised this was the latest version supplied directly from MAGIX.

I have attempted probably everything from the forums and still no video or audio. I have uninstalled and reinstalled via the supplied DVD and online but still no luck. Even when I tried to update the video grabber drivers to ‘MAGIX Videowandler - Premium’ it was not recognising the stick, kept saying not found and insert and retry even though it was already in. The USB port is fine but still no luck, out of ideas now, hoping someone can help.

In terms of the VCR player I have tried with the scart (ensuring set to OUT) and without with just the RCA cables but still no luck setting up.

My Laptop spec: Win 11, i7, 16GB RAM

The privacy settings for Microphone and Camera all disabled so allowing access, Antivirus disabled (Though not happy about this)

MAGIX Video Saver!

Version 8.0.0.28 (UDP3)

UG Code 8546 KA2

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/8/2024, 4:05 PM

@PSD Can you show us a photo of your software and the grabber? Can you also please upload a screenshot of the Windows Device Manager and what it shows while the grabber is connected to your computer, maybe there is a device with a yellow warning sign shown, which means the driver isn't installed. I believe that newest version of the grabber doesn't need a separate driver installation. It simply installs the driver after plugging it in.

Use the arrow icon above the response text box to upload images to this forum.

CubeAce wrote on 2/8/2024, 4:18 PM

@PSD

Hi and welcome to the user to use forums.

You do appear to have the latest release.

Both mic and camera settings should be enabled for the program to run. Antivirus should only need to be disabled while doing either the install process or registration process. Normally the only official way to get the program is via the Magix Website but they often seem to run out of the dongles needed. If you got it from Amazon then it seems to be sold via Magix. I was surprised to see it there sold by Magix.

Do make sure all switches involved are switched to output.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4780

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.70. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

PSD wrote on 2/9/2024, 2:27 AM

@PSD Can you show us a photo of your software and the grabber? Can you also please upload a screenshot of the Windows Device Manager and what it shows while the grabber is connected to your computer, maybe there is a device with a yellow warning sign shown, which means the driver isn't installed. I believe that newest version of the grabber doesn't need a separate driver installation. It simply installs the driver after plugging it in.

Use the arrow icon above the response text box to upload images to this forum.

Thanks and here are some screenshots

Tried with the scart as well set to OUT, tried both scart ports.

PSD wrote on 2/9/2024, 2:29 AM

@PSD

Hi and welcome to the user to use forums.

You do appear to have the latest release.

Both mic and camera settings should be enabled for the program to run. Antivirus should only need to be disabled while doing either the install process or registration process. Normally the only official way to get the program is via the Magix Website but they often seem to run out of the dongles needed. If you got it from Amazon then it seems to be sold via Magix. I was surprised to see it there sold by Magix.

Do make sure all switches involved are switched to output.

Ray.

Thanks Ray, I brought off a eBay seller who said he is supplied directly from MAGIX.

CubeAce wrote on 2/9/2024, 6:16 AM

@PSD

Hi.

Personally I don't use this program or use video transfer from VHS tape or early camcorders but I do know you need to set Windows to allow both use of the microphone and webcam. What you show in your screenshot is that they are detected and not necessarily accessible to other programs. The audio settings for the microphone is found in Windows / Settings / Microphone privacy settings / and the box marked Allow apps to access your microphone needs to be turned to on. Then underneath that there should be a list of apps that can access your microphone you can switch on. If your program is listed in that list, again make sure it is turned on.

Next, to the left of that in the left hand column select the Camera icon and do the same with the camera settings.

The program seems to have started so for now accept the key is genuine for activation but if you have further problems your best bet is to return it as soon as possible for a refund and buy from the Magix website so you get additional support from Magix.

This is only a user forum so there is little we can do to help other than take you through computer setup settings etc. For instance I have no way of telling if that dongle has the correct drivers for it or has been identified by your system correctly. You may be able to do that at your end by checking if the device drivers are working in the devices settings in the device manager list you showed above.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 2/9/2024, 6:23 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4780

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.70. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

johnebaker wrote on 2/9/2024, 7:24 AM

@PSD

Hi

Looking at your images the video grabber is being detected and is available in program - the grabber is a generic model available under many different brand names.

The connections from the player, a Samsung DVD-VR355 ?, to the dongle also look correct.

Assuming you get picture and sound when using to outputs shown in your images above to connect to your TV, if when playing from the recorder you do not see anything in the preview window, I would suspect the dongle may be faulty.

If you have OBS, or something similar, try test recording from the dongle.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

PSD wrote on 2/9/2024, 7:25 AM

@PSD

Hi.

Personally I don't use this program or use video transfer from VHS tape or early camcorders but I do know you need to set Windows to allow both use of the microphone and webcam. What you show in your screenshot is that they are detected and not necessarily accessible to other programs. The audio settings for the microphone is found in Windows / Settings / Microphone privacy settings / and the box marked Allow apps to access your microphone needs to be turned to on. Then underneath that there should be a list of apps that can access your microphone you can switch on. If your program is listed in that list, again make sure it is turned on.

Next, to the left of that in the left hand column select the Camera icon and do the same with the camera settings.

The program seems to have started so for now accept the key is genuine for activation but if you have further problems your best bet is to return it as soon as possible for a refund and buy from the Magix website so you get additional support from Magix.

This is only a user forum so there is little we can do to help other than take you through computer setup settings etc. For instance I have no way of telling if that dongle has the correct drivers for it or has been identified by your system correctly. You may be able to do that at your end by checking if the device drivers are working in the devices settings in the device manager list you showed above.

Ray.

Microphone: Option to toggle not there for Magix but least it’s in the list.

Camera: Option to toggle not there for Magix but least it’s in the list.

Seems like possible issue with the usb stick

SP. wrote on 2/9/2024, 8:02 AM

@PSD You can make a right click on the USB Video device in the Device Manager and uninstall it.

Then unplug your USB grabber from your computer and restart your computer by selecting the Restart option (not the Shut down option!).

After the restart, wait until your computer loaded everything and then plug the grabber back into your computer. The driver should reinstall. Maybe it will work then.

PSD wrote on 2/9/2024, 9:08 AM

@PSD You can make a right click on the USB Video device in the Device Manager and uninstall it.

Then unplug your USB grabber from your computer and restart your computer by selecting the Restart option (not the Shut down option!).

After the restart, wait until your computer loaded everything and then plug the grabber back into your computer. The driver should reinstall. Maybe it will work then.

Followed those instructions and still no video/audio ☹️

AAProds wrote on 2/9/2024, 9:20 AM

@PSD

I'm a bit suspicious of that "USB Video" entry. All my "grabbers"/digitisers (non-Magix) appear only in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section with their actual name eg "Startech.com capture device".

I see the Magix instructions say to have the grabber plugged in before you install the driver, but most of my digitisers (not Magix) required the driver to be installed first, then you plug it in. That does make sense to me, because if you plug it in before the manufacturer's drivers are installed, Windows will install what it thinks are the correct drivers.

As SP's procedure didn't work, I'd suggest you "uninstall" the device from Device Manager again, remove it, install the Magix drivers, then plug it in.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12

emmrecs wrote on 2/9/2024, 9:41 AM

@PSD

I fully agree with what @AAProds (Al) has written.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 2/9/2024, 12:14 PM

@AAProds

HI Al

. . . . I'm a bit suspicious of that "USB Video" entry. All my "grabbers"/digitisers (non-Magix) appear only in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section with their actual name eg "Startech.com capture device" . . . .

In principle I agree with where the device should be located and named in Device Manager.

@PSD

Hi

If the driver re-install does not work, and/or you cannot record from the device in another program such as OBS, I would suggest you contact Magix either by raising a Support ticket, link at the top of the page, or by email to infoservice@magix.net.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

PSD wrote on 2/11/2024, 9:51 AM

Thanks guys, I have tried everything from installing drivers without the usb plugged in, have also tried OBS and no luck. I will be raising a ticket and requesting a refund from the eBay seller. Thanks for all your suggestions.

PSD wrote on 2/14/2024, 4:22 AM

I have raised a support ticket 4 days ago but still not heard anything or any confirmation the ticket was received. Usually how long does it take for support to get back in touch if anyone knows please?

SP. wrote on 2/14/2024, 5:49 AM

@PSD Usually, you'll get an automated response as soon as you create the ticket for Magix support.

If you are talking about a reaction from the eBay seller, that's a different platform.

PSD wrote on 2/14/2024, 6:04 AM

@PSD Usually, you'll get an automated response as soon as you create the ticket for Magix support.

If you are talking about a reaction from the eBay seller, that's a different platform.

Hey SP, I was talking about Magix support, I did not get any auto response, check junk folders as well.

PSD wrote on 2/14/2024, 6:15 AM

I’ll email them directly rather than through the web form 🙂