my imported video has no audio when imported into MEP

oddwod wrote on 6/3/2008, 10:02 AM
Hello,

This seems to be a fairly regularly asked question, however the answers to previous posts haven't fixed my problem so if anyone can help...

I filmed using a sony handycam (HDR UX1E) but in standard definition

I downloaded the footage onto my pc using Picture Motion Browser. They saved into my pictures folder.

When I view the clip in Windows Media Player, the sound is there. When I import it to MEP (version 11) the clips are there and can be dragged onto the timeline but the sound is not there. When I select the sound symbol, it says there is no sound object there.

Does anyone know why? I've never used editing software before so i'm sure there's an obvious answer, but not to me!

thanks in advance for any help!

x

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 6/3/2008, 2:54 PM
You might have to further clarify exactly what video format(s) that camera produces. I don't know this camera personally, but was under the impression that the HDR UX1E was a AVCHD camera, in which case MEP 11 wouldn't offer any support for it. However, since you can obviously import the video clips into the program, there must be another output option. I guess it records to MPEG-2 when used in standard definition or the software you use performs some kind of conversion. Either way, my guess would be that the audio is probably Dolby Digital, in which case you would need to install the appropriate codec for MEP 11 to read it properly. Here's a free Dolby Digital/AC3 codec that will help:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

During your first attempt to import the files, a matching AVD file for each video file was probably created on your hard disc in the import directory. Before you can reimport your files with the new AC3 filter installed, you'll first have to delete those AVD files, as they contain faulty information now, which the programm will continue to use, unless you force it to create new AVD files by deleting the old ones.

I hope this helps.