MX3d_PresentationLayer_x64.dll crash rendering 60fps 1080 GoPro video

Steve-Blackman wrote on 7/17/2023, 1:50 PM

Hi, I have Movie Edit Pro Plus 20.0.1.80 (UDP3) UG Code 8452 KA1.

I have experienced intermittent crashes in MEP, but this one throws a different exception and seems difficult to get around.

In this project I have 1080p 60fps footage, mainly from a GoPro 11, with some interleaved footage at the same resolution and frame rate from a Nextbase dashcam. I am rendering to 60fps (it actually says 59.94) 1080p MPEG4.

When the render gets to about 8 minutes in, the above DLL crashes with a memory access violation (which to me as someone who works in the software industry smells of a bug - e.g. a pointer that has not been allocated memory, writing wherever it happens to point when initialised).

I am running on an i5-1135G7 laptop with 16Gb RAM with Windows 11.

Rendering to MPEG4, 1080p, 60fps.

I have tried making minor adjustments to the video, shortening the affected scene to see if it renders without error. Finally, after several attempts, I managed to get it to render without error (at least until it got to the next unrelated defect in MEP, which I know how to edit around).

The crash occurred in one of two adjacent clips. I reduced the first clip by around 2 seconds from about 8 seconds. This allowed it to render.

Luckily in this case the additional edit was not significant. But if the scene I had to shorten had included dialogue or significant action, this bug would have been a show-stopper.

I used the update function to check for product updates, but it said there were none.

Hence this looks like a code defect that needs fixing.

Regards,

Steve.

Movie Edit Pro 2021 Plus 20.0.1.80 (UDP3) UG Code 8452 KA1

CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz   2.42 GHz

GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

RAM: 16Gb

O/S: Windows 11 Home

Local storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 Tb

Comments

Former user wrote on 7/17/2023, 3:31 PM

@Steve-Blackman 

Hi, I have a Gopro 11 & the latest Magix Movie Studio 2023 (MMS), I think Movie Edit Pro Plus 20.0.1.80 is MEP2021? (MEP is now MMS)

Can you click your icon at the top of this page - My Profile & fill in your Signature with the full name of your CPU, GPU & amount of RAM, also inc the Windows & Magix version, this will then show at the bottom of your comments,

There's an App called MediaInfo, download it, it's free & a fast download with no added adverts or any of that rubbish. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

After downloading, right click on the media file in your Windows folder, open MediaInfo, choose Text from the options at the top, Copy & paste the information in a new comment on here 👍

You can upload pictures using the arrow button next to the smiley at the top of a new comment, Full screen grab would be good,

You say you've "reduced the first clip by around 2 seconds" have you tried exporting part of your project using the blue Range option that can be set at the top of the timeline, then use 'Export selected range only' in the export window to see if you can narrow down the problem?

Steve-Blackman wrote on 7/20/2023, 3:52 PM

Hi Gid, thanks for the comments. I've added some info to my signature. I tried exporting a selected range - in this case it didn't reproduce the problem (which it does when MEP crashes where I have tried to use a fade from black, which is another defect). So that was particularly annoying, because with other crashes I could select the range around the crash site, reproduce the problem quickly and then experiment with adjustments to transitions etc. until MEP didn't crash - then re-render the entire movie. In this case, each time I experimented, I had to re-render 8 minutes of final video, which took more like 15 minutes at 60fps. So a frustratingly slow process just experimenting and trying again, with no clue what was triggering the memory exception.

Also, annoyingly, this is hardly the most complicated thing I have had it render, or the longest. No difficult transitions, no music track, no voice-over track, no titles fading in or out. Just a video and audio track with a cut to another video and audio track.

If you want to see the finished video, it is here:

The rendering crash occurred around 08:10. As I mentioned, I knocked a couple of seconds off the start of the preceding scene and it fixed the problem, but there was nothing unusual in either of the scenes.

Cheers, Steve.

Former user wrote on 7/20/2023, 5:05 PM

I had a look at the error but it was a bit vague with no def identification, was there more info on the error msg? What is mx3d_presentationlayer_x64.dll (If i get an error msg i screen capture it, Windows key + Shift + S so i can search it or share it looking for help)

1080p 60fps footage, mainly from a GoPro 11, with some interleaved footage at the same resolution and frame rate from a Nextbase dashcam

@Steve-Blackman Hi, frustrating when you can't pin down the problem, All editors look forward when exporting, they're looking at the frames ahead so your project might crash at 8mins but the problem may well be at 9mins or later... looking through your vid there's plenty of cuts & fades through black but nothing that really stands out to me, at the 8-9min mark there's quite a few cuts sandwiched in between two fades, whether this section has any significance to your crash i don't know, I tend to render short intensive sections like that individually & put the video back together from those exported sections,

Mixing different media types shouldn't cause a problem but it isn't advisable, edit & export the different media separately then put those exports together to make a final movie or recode all to the same format before starting the project, you've got to be careful with that tho because with every recode there's a chance of quality loss if the recode is not set up right.

In your video I'm guessing the dashcam was the driving bits, I've had a look at Nextbase dashcams, Nextbase NBDVR522GW_User_Manual (page 9 specs) all i can find without digging too deep is that it records in MP4, MP4 is just a container which within it contains the information about your video, so would you do the MediaInfo thing on both the GoPro footage & the dashcam, 👍 Link for that in my previous comment.

It's pretty simple & if you don't know about container information it can be a good learning tool, like this-

You could if you wanted to share a couple of short clips on Google Drive the put the link on here, unfortunately your PC is very different to mine so I can't try & replicate your problem even if I had all your footage & project, but someone might be able to 👍

-----------

PS

I had to re-render 8 minutes of final video, which took more like 15 minutes at 60fps

That doesn't sound like a long time for a PC with your specs. How long would you expect it to take?

& if it is slower than you think it should be, that can indicate a problem or something more intense on the timeline like effects etc. that MMS is having to work on in that section

AAProds wrote on 7/20/2023, 7:05 PM

@Former user

at the 8-9min mark there's quite a few cuts sandwiched in between two fades, YT recognises these by breaking the timeline 

Gid, I'm off-topic for a bit: YT does this only because the poster has inserted "Key Moments" with timecode in the description.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12

Former user wrote on 7/20/2023, 7:17 PM

@AAProds Oh of course 👍 they just happened to coincide with the fades which are put in by the OP/editor for change in scene, Doh🤦‍♂️👴😁

Steve-Blackman wrote on 7/21/2023, 2:47 PM

Hi Gid,

Correction: I remembered it is a GoPro10, but I suspect that isn't a factor here.

Render time

The render time wasn't unexpected, I only mentioned it due to the frustration of trying to reproduce the problem. The fact that you couldn't reproduce the problem by selecting a range around the problem and just quickly rendering that, which has worked with out problems in MEP - is frustrating. So instead it means you have to sit through 8 minutes to find it crashes, then make a minor change and have to sit through another 8 minutes to discover that made no difference, and repeat until hopefully something changes :-(.

Dashcam footage

I don't think the dashcam footage made any difference since the prior footage ends at 2.5 minutes and the next footage starts at 14 - that is a long way away from the source of the crash at 8 minutes.

The offending DLL

The DLL that is crashing is Magix code, not a Microsoft or 3rd party DLL:

Unfortunately I didn't keep a screenshot of the error, partly because it was one of those unhelpful access violation errors, pretty much identical to the one in this thread:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/can-anyone-explain-this-error-because-i-ve-reached-the-end-of-my-rope--131365/

The problem is, access violations are basically coding errors. Effectively, the code is trying to write to a piece of memory it doesn't own and the system is catching it before it does any harm (such as corrupting memory in the operating system or another application). This can occur if you declare a pointer and then try to access the memory it points to before allocating memory to the pointer (when declared it will point somewhere random), but I would expect that to fail almost all the time. Or maybe if you allocate memory to a pointer, but fail to check the amount of data you are writing to the allocated memory, and overwrite the end of it. Something like the latter seems more likely to me. I admit, it is years since I used to write C code, so I am rusty, but it frustrates me when things randomly crash and programmers treat it like there is nothing they can do about it - crashing is simply because the programmer has not properly thought through and written code to handle all the scenarios that can occur.

So knowing this, I knew no-one on here was likely to be able to fix this (unless someone said "I had that, and they released a bug fix number xxxxx which cured it"), but I wondered if others had experienced it and said "Oh yes, when you do xxx and yyy then it triggers this crash". A bit like I discovered another coding defect causing the rendering to fail when doing a fade from black - so now I know, the work-around is to only do a cut instead of a fade - annoying, but it doesn't cramp my creative style too much and once you know it causes it, you can fix it immediately if you forget and use such a fade.

Media info

I downloaded MediaArea.net - good call Gid, a useful tool. This is the output for the GoPro clip:

General
Complete name                            : xxxxxx\Projects\20230708 Wales\GX011392.MP4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 1
Codec ID                                 : mp41 (mp41)
File size                                : 86.0 MiB
Duration                                 : 16 s 116 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 44.8 Mb/s
Frame rate                               : 59.940 FPS
Encoded date                             : 2023-07-10 12:02:41 UTC
Tagged date                              : 2023-07-10 12:02:41 UTC

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main@L5.1@Main
Codec ID                                 : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 44.5 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.358
Stream size                              : 85.4 MiB (99%)
Title                                    : GoPro H.265
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Full
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Duration                                 : 16 s 107 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
Nominal bit rate                         : 48.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 372 KiB (0%)
Title                                    : GoPro AAC  

Other #1
ID                                       : 3
Type                                     : Time code
Format                                   : QuickTime TC
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Time code of first frame                 : 12:14:12:45
Time code of last frame                  : 12:14:29:07
Time code, stripped                      : Yes
Title                                    : GoPro TCD  

Other #2
ID                                       : 4
Type                                     : meta
Format                                   : gpmd
Codec ID                                 : gpmd
Duration                                 : 16 s 115 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Title                                    : GoPro MET  
Duration_LastFrame                       : -902

Now here is the info on one of the Nextbase clips, although I am pretty sure this is nothing to do with the crash, it is interesting to see the differences:

General
Complete name                            : xxxx\Projects\20230708 Wales\230712_140109_503_FH.MP4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : JVT
Codec ID                                 : avc1 (avc1/isom)
File size                                : 180 MiB
Duration                                 : 2 min 0 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 12.6 Mb/s
Frame rate                               : 29.970 FPS
Encoded date                             : 2023-07-12 14:00:59 UTC
Tagged date                              : 2023-07-12 14:00:59 UTC

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L5.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 12.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.193
Stream size                              : 171 MiB (95%)
Title                                    : Ambarella AVC
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : sowt
Source duration                          : 2 min 0 s
Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Sampling rate                            : 16.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 3.67 MiB (2%)
Source stream size                       : 3.66 MiB (2%)
Title                                    : Ambarella AAC

Text
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : Timed Text
Codec ID                                 : text
Source duration                          : 2 min 0 s
Bit rate                                 : 23.2 kb/s
Frame rate                               : 10.000 FPS
Stream size                              : 340 KiB (0%)
Source stream size                       : 340 KiB (0%)
Title                                    : Ambarella EXT
Forced                                   : No
Count of events                          : 1201

Firstly, I had clearly forgotten to change the frame rate on the dashcam to 60fps. I can also see it uses H.264 rather than H.265 on the GoPro within the MPEG4 container.

Cheers,

Steve.

Former user wrote on 7/21/2023, 3:23 PM

@Steve-Blackman Hi, yeah frustrating when you can't pin down the problem, To my novice eye those files don't look unusual, there's differences like Format AVC vs HEVC & different frame rates but as you say there well away from from were it crashes, people often say Variable can cause problems, that usually shows during the editing, it can affect the performance etc.. yours both say Constant. 420 8 bit BT709 is 'normal', They're both only 1920x1080 FHD so it's not a big or unusual size, The only bit is the Audio & "Format : QuickTime TC". Does that need Quicktime installed? If it was a problem though surely it would affect your whole project?

A bit like I discovered another coding defect causing the rendering to fail when doing a fade from black - so now I know, the work-around is to only do a cut instead of a fade - annoying

That's interesting tho, I can't remember that being mentioned on here? I did export a GoPro file where i added 20+ fades through black, it exported no prob but like i say I've got quite a different PC to yours, I do tend to skip through some posts because they are intel or setting to CPU in preferences orientated, I can't join in with those.

& it sounds like you know a lot more about access violations then i do 🤷‍♂️😁👍

PS just noticed this is in the VPX section of this forum but you have Movie Edit Pro Plus?

johnebaker wrote on 7/22/2023, 5:46 PM

@Steve-Blackman

Hi Steve

Late to the party on this one.

The MX3d_PresentationLayer_x64.dll issue has been seen several times before in the forum and relates to either:

1. A source video is Variable framerate in your case neither the GoPro or Dashcam video are this.

OR

2. A graphics driver issue.

Assuming you do not have a Nvidia or AMD GPU also installed on the computer - what is the version number of the Iris XE drivers you have installed - the current stable release is 31.0.101.4502 if you have the 31.0.101.4575 Beta version installed or the installed version is not the current stable version then try dowhgrading/updating to the stable version.

. . . . The rendering crash occurred around 08:10. As I mentioned, I knocked a couple of seconds off the start of the preceding scene and it fixed the problem, but there was nothing unusual in either of the scenes. . . .

This could indicate that there is a glitch at the start of one or more video clips, eg it does not start with an I frame - analysis with a bitrate/frame type analyser may shed some light on this.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Steve-Blackman wrote on 7/23/2023, 11:22 AM

Thanks Gid.

John, good call about the XE driver. My laptop is on a much older driver (April 2022): 30.0.101.1934.

I will look at downloading an updated stable release of that.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve-Blackman wrote on 7/25/2023, 2:44 PM

Hi John,

I upgraded the XE driver to 31.0.101.4575.

Went back to a backup of the MEP project I took before my adjustments fixed the rendering and re-ran using the new driver. However, failed at the same place as before - I did get a screenshot this time:

Cheers,

Steve.

Former user wrote on 7/25/2023, 3:18 PM

@Steve-Blackman Hi, I have no idea bout Error Code 0xc0000005 😂🤷‍♂️🙃

can be caused by a bad file

Top 8 Ways to fix Windows Error Code 0xc0000005?

1. Check RAM. Memory corruption could be one of the primary reasons behind this error, hence check the RAM. ...
  2. Scan PC for Malware. ...
  3. Run SFC Scan. ...
  4. Update Device Drivers. ...
  5. Perform a Clean Boot. ...
  6. Run CHKDSK Scan. ...
  7. Turn off DEP. ...
  8. Reset your PC.

What you could do is make a copy of the Project file & all the media it uses, put them in a zipped folder & share it on here (or in a personal msg) , I've got super fast broadband so size isn't much of an issue, I'll try it & if it's a Magix or file problem it will show despite my PC being different to yours,

If you don't know how -

1. Open Google, top right is a square of 9 dots
  2. Open Google Drive
  3. Drag the zip folder on the screen & let it load
  4. Once loaded right click on it on the screen - Share
  5. A window will pop up, under General Access choose - Anyone with the link,
  6. Copy Link & share it on here using the chain symbol at the top of a new comment.

If you don't want to do this I totally understand 👍

Marc-Goder wrote on 7/25/2023, 4:22 PM

Why is the Go Pro camera recording these two videos at Level 5.1 ???

Level 5.1 would be for 3840X2160 with up to 64 FPS or 1920X1080 with 129-256 FPS. 

Level 5.0 is used for 1920X1080 with 65-128 FPS. 

The files here should use Level 4.0 or 4.1

Magix Video Deluxe 2022 Premium (2.138)

Rechner: MSI Leopard GP76 , Intel I7-10870H,

NVidia RTX 3060 Mobile (TDP=130 Watt) (6GB),
Treiber-Version 31.0.15.5222

Arbeitsspeicher RAM 16GB,

Intel HD 630 On-Board I-GPU= deaktiviert.

Windows 10 (Auto-Update + Manuell) Ver.19045.4355

Weitere Video Software: CAPCUT
Konverter: Handbrake

Since 03.02.2024 experementil successfull with K-Lite-Codec Pack.

( Windows 11 kann ich nicht. Krieg ich Blähungen und Bluthochdruck von )

johnebaker wrote on 7/26/2023, 11:51 AM

@Marc-Goder

Hi Marc

. . . . Why is the Go Pro camera recording these two videos at Level 5.1 . . . .

There is no reason why it should not.

The h.264/AVC specifications for the Level parameters are :-

• Maximum decoding speed
  • Maximum frame size
  • Maximum video bit rate for video encoded with the various Profiles
  • Maximum resolution at the highest frame rate

They do not prevent a high level being used with lower value parameters eg lower resolution/lower framerate.

Additionally a high level decoder must be backwards compatible and decode lower level video.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/26/2023, 11:51 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.