MusicMaker14 -- Missing features from MM12 ??

GravityWave wrote on 7/25/2008, 7:25 PM
Update to MM14 from MM12: -- No VSTi or DXi support that I can find. A way to set the path to a VST folder is no longer available. No installed DXi instruments available either. Also, I don't see ANY Rewire support. Several MM12 instruments are also missing - Silver, Copper, SampleTank.

Update to MM14 from MM12. -- No Revolta, VoiceSynth or Sampler either. If these need the professional update I'm going to be very disappointed with this update and how it was advertised!!  Paticularly lack of VSTi and DXi support which primarly motivated the upgrade purchase. Aside from new loops/patts this is starting to appear as an expensive downgrade. I was thinking that maybe Revolta2 is to replace Silver/Copper but then MM12 is still needed for those compositions.

Upgrade to MM14 from MM12: Despite the ad, there doesn't appear to be ANY Rewire support which I use frequently with other programs. This is a DVD install, not the DL version. I'll be hard pressed to consider a version update without all features clearly defined and supported. I was pretty happy with MM12 and may have to use it and transfer WAVs to/from Calkwalk., etc. manually. The File Mgmt window is better in MM14.

Update to MM14 from MM12. Downloaded latest patch update manually from support. None of listed issues corrected. Missing Synths, etc.

Thanks for getting back to me on my earlier question on skins ( not really available ), but no big deal. Above issues are big deals.

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 7/26/2008, 10:08 AM
Not really an answers for sure - but I've been looking at purchasing MM14 as an upgrade from MM11. I noticed there are two versions. MM14 and MM14 Producers Edition. It does not show the differences except $30.00 in price.

Perhaps this is where your features are at - and you have every right to be upset.

I will NOT buy MM14 without these features and I will NOT buy a non-boxed software.

If I find out more I'll let you know,
Justin
ralftaro wrote on 7/30/2008, 7:10 AM
Hi there,

I guess the confusion results from the following situation: There are (and have been for the longest time) two versions of Music Maker. There is a classic version and a bigger, more fully featured version (previously called "Deluxe", now called "Producer Edition"). For the last few versions of Music Maker, Magix only localized and marketed the "Deluxe" version of the program in the US and UK. So, that's the one you're used to. Now, starting in version 14, Magix is selling both versions in English language again, giving customers the choice to use the one that suits their needs. Probably mostly interesting for new customers and beginners. If you're already an experienced Music Maker user and you've been making use of the more advanced features, you would obviously want to stick with the "Producer Edition" now. On the website you can find a Magix music program comparions chart (PDF file):

content.magix.net/cms/us/pdf/product/magix_audio_creation_software_us.pdf

Unfortunately, the introduction of the second version and change in product strategy apparently went hand in hand with a rise in price for both versions. The Producer Edition could probably still be considered a pretty reasonably priced all-in-one, beginner-level music production package.
NoTurning wrote on 7/30/2008, 9:12 PM
Well... Ralftaro answered it nicely. I stopped by to confirm that there are many missing features just as you suspected and quite frankly it's dirty. Magix is recommending people upgrade to MM14 neglecting to mention the producers edition.

They should not allow you to "upgrade" a deluxe version with a standard edition. I would complain loudly to the folks at Magix. If all else fails, Magix products sell well on eBay.

You've basically been forced a couple of steps backwards and I'm sorry for your misfortune.

Good luck,
Justin