Music Studio - some basic questions

Javolenus wrote on 1/22/2009, 9:12 AM
Hi There,

I've been using Music Studio 12 for a few weeks now. I'm still a novice, still have much to learn. And so I'd like to field a few basic questions. Many thanks in advance for replies. Here goes:

1. Is it worth upgrading to Music Studio 14?
2. What do I need to connect my electro-acoustic guitar to Music Studio? A USB interface? Please advice on how to record real guitars with Music Studio!
3. My MIDI keyboard will not work properly in Music Studio. The only sounds I can make are via the Windows default wave synth, but I cannot play any softsynths. What am I doing wrong? And what is the best way to connect a MIDI keyboard to Music Studio so that I can enter MIDI data and also play VST instruments?
4. What other hardware/software would enhance the quality of my recordings? For example, are external sound cards recommended?
5. Leading on from the previous question, what essential kit do I need to produce high quality recordings on my PC?
6. Any other advice for a beginner?

Again, many thanks!

Comments

mattj wrote on 4/22/2009, 9:23 PM
1)     I don't really know, I have 12 myself, but I set up all the skins like 11 because that's what I learned first and like the best :)

2)     I have a 1/4 inch input on the fron of my computer so HAW HAW HAW! XD  I just plug it straight in the front.  I used to use a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter before I got that card though and just plugged it in the mike input.  Then I used the amp software on 12 and it souded great.

3)   Hmmmmmm.... what kind of inputs do you have on your computer?  midi, or are you using a midi to usb converter or something?  I don't know about those converters!  I have a midi in and a midi out on my computer so it's easy. 

I just hook it all up right (outs to ins and ins to outs) and then double click my lil speaker icon in the bottom right hand of my COMPUTER screen to open up the windows mixer, click options, properties, recording, ok, then select midi / synth. Then in Magix, I press the Y button to bring up the system audio to make sure it's in ASIO mode and Software FX mode, click okay to get out, click the track I want to put midi on to bring it up in the track editor, click the rectangle that says midi, click the arrow where it says midi to expand the options, left click the arrow where it says out, click new instrument and pick whatever for whatever sound I want, and FINALLY click the little speaker button on the track (it let's you acually hear it using the virual instrument and not micro-craps sound!)

Plays for me every time, but it sure did take a lot of clicking around to figure out how to do it!!!!! XP

4)     I think Magix is enough, but if you want to spend more money whatever.  Everybody thinks my recordings are just as good as Adobe, or whatever.  Average people can't tell the difference.  Experience from actually recording makes the most difference. :)

5)     Ditto (also my favorite pkmn!)

6)     Play with it as much as possible.  You'll be amazed what you can do in 2-3 years!
silentsky wrote on 5/1/2009, 2:57 PM
Hi,

1. I'm still using MS12, so sorry, I can't help you there. But I've read on some other forums that upgrading to MS14 is worth it if you're doing much with MIDI, because MS12 was the first version to add MIDI to the Audio Studio application, and apparently the MIDI implementation in MS14 is said to be better and less buggy.

2. For recording guitars and vocals, I would recommend buying a single-channel mic preamp such as the ART Tube MP Studio ($30 from Musicians Friend) or maybe a small mixer. Behringer makes a line of small mixers that are really affordable. Either or these will give you XLR inputs that you can connect a decent microphone to. These will also provide phantom power if you're using a phantom-powered condenser mic. To connect the preamp or mixer to your computer, you can use a 1/4" to 1/8" cable, or if your mixer has RCA outputs, you could use an RCA to 1/8" cable (this is the same kind of cable that you can use to connect an Ipod to a home stereo with RCA inputs). Or, you could also buy a mixer with USB outputs that would connect directly to a USB port of your computer.

3. Sorry, I have yet to use a MIDI keyboard with MS12.

4. I would only buy an external soundcard if you need to add several channels for simultaneous recording. I, for example, have an Echo Layla 24/96 plus a Behringer ADA8000 which gives me 16 inputs total, but I'm recording a full drumset plus two guitars and bass at the same time. If I were simply doing a guitar, bass, vocals, programming MIDI drums, etc., I would probably stick with the onboard sound card if it sounds good.

5. In addition to the preamp or mixer that I mentioned, I would get a decent all-purpose dynamic mic such as a Shure SM57, Audix i5, or Sennheiser e835 for recording electric guitars or other loud sources. For recording acoustic guitars and vocals, I would recommend a large diaphragm condenser mic. I've heard lots of good things about the Studio Projects mics, and they have one model that sells for around $100.

6. I would also recommend downloading some good free VST plugins. Using these in the mixing stage can really work wonders on your recordings. Just search some forums such as Gearslutz or the HomeRecording.com bbs, and you'll find tons of them. KVR Audio also has a ton of free vst's that you can download directly from their site.

Good luck,

Jon