Music Maker won't launch in newest version of Win10 Pro

flesyMeM wrote on 5/5/2018, 6:12 AM

I wiped my system clean recently, and Music Maker will no longer launch after re-install. It briefly says "Running" in the Steam library, but it never even gets to the Music Maker splash screen before stopping. If I watch the processes in task manager, I can see it appear for a few seconds and then just vanish. There is no crash or error message of any kind--it simply doesn't launch. I also installed the standalone version of Music Maker, and I get the exact same result.

Everything was working just fine previously, with both the Steam version and the standalone version. The only thing I can think of is that I'm now running the most current version of Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803 build 17134.5) and there must be some kind of issue going on there.

Since I had already re-installed quite a few other things prior to getting back to Music Maker, I wiped everything and started over again. With only Windows+drivers+Steam+Music Maker installed, and absolutely nothing else, I still had the same problem.

Just to test even further, I tested MM out on my Surface Pro 4 as well. Music Maker was still working just fine there, but as soon as I updated it to the newest Windows version and build it no long launches on my tablet either.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/5/2018, 8:36 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

Obvious question, perhaps; exactly which version of MM do you have? I know you mentioned the Steam edition but that doesn't really tell us the actual version number.

From what you write it would appear, on the face of it, that there is some "conflict" between your version of MM and the latest update to Win 10. I've yet to have the pleasure of being "invited" to install this Microsoft update; I wonder whether other users are now running the 1803 update and have seen anything similar with any Magix program?

Jeff

EDIT: just to add, I believe Steam are responsible for releasing updated version of the programs they sell. Have you posted the same question to any Steam forum, especially to discover whether any other user has experienced the same or similar problem?

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/5/2018, 8:49 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

flesyMeM wrote on 5/5/2018, 9:21 AM

On Steam, I have the Music Maker 2017 Premium Edition...their most recent update is listed as version 24.1.5.112. Also tried installing the most recently available free standalone download, and the current standalone download for the 2018 Premium Edition. Looks like the current free version is 25.1.2.78 and Premium is at 25.1.0.59. Those are for the downloads anyway...not sure if there are additional updates available currently after installing. My wife is out and about with the tablet at the moment, so can't check to see if the version numbers are the same as what I've downloaded onto the desktop.

Same issue with all three installs on two vastly different machines running the same version and build of Win 10 Pro. And as I mentioned, on the Surface Pro the only thing that changed was updating the OS. All three versions of Music Maker immediately stopped functioning after updating it.

And yes, since I own the Steam version I posted there as well just to see if anyone else has started encountering the same problem. Not a terribly active MM community on Steam though... :P

Thankfully I have Sonar re-installed and working just fine, which is good since I use that and Logic far more than I use MM. I do use MM for some things though, so a bit disappointed that it isn't working for me at the moment.

emmrecs wrote on 5/5/2018, 9:53 AM

The latest version of MM Premium is also 25.1.2.78.

You mention you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MM, but have you seen this tutorial on exactly how to ensure that any uninstall completely removes ALL prior files before attempting a reinstall? Might be worth following it carefully step by step to see if it would help you?

It would also be helpful if other users who have upgraded to Win 10 1803 would post as to whether they, too, are experiencing problems with Magix programs since the upgrade.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

flesyMeM wrote on 5/5/2018, 7:03 PM

As noted, I went as far as doing another full wipe and installing nothing but Windows, drivers, Steam, and Music Maker. Still had the same issue.

I took it a step further overnight. I did yet another wipe and install of Windows, then this AM installed drivers and the standalone Music Maker free version (no Steam or Steam Music Maker installed). Still the same issue.

Should also note that I'm a fairly technically inclined person, and I've done the other standard troubleshooting steps as well just to see if anything gets it working. Installing/launching as administrator, running in compatibility mode, disabling AV/Security, etc. All to no avail.

No matter what I've done or how clean I made my system, when I launch Music Maker the process pops up in task manager for about 2-3 seconds then disappears.

EDIT: I've just installed the most recent version of Samplitude Music Studio that I have available to me (23.0.2.58) just to see if I find issues with other MAGIX products. Although I'm pretty sure this version of Samplitude is at least 2 yrs old or so, it appears to be up and running just fine.

emmrecs wrote on 5/6/2018, 3:06 AM

Hi again.

Sorry even that process proved fruitless 😭

The only other thing I can suggest, since no-one else seems to be experiencing this, is to raise a support ticket via this page.

Jeff