Comments

SP. wrote on 2/19/2024, 2:34 AM

@richietowers If I remember it correctly Version 2024 came out in June 2023. So it will probably take another 3-4 months until Version 2025.

richietowers wrote on 2/19/2024, 2:41 AM

Thanks for answering. And do you know if I buy, will I get to update to that version? Does buying include updates of versions? any extra information is welcome. thanks

SP. wrote on 2/19/2024, 4:54 AM

@richietowers Over the last few years Music Maker was a free software. You can simply install the newest Free Edition and it will have the features of earlier versions you bought automatically unlocked.

For example, if you buy Music Maker 2024 Premium Edition, you'll unlock all Features in the in-app-store that are included in the Premium Edition. If you later install the free Edition of Music Maker 2025 you'll still have all features of the Music Maker 2024 Premium Edition unlocked. Only new, paid features will be missing, which were not a part of the 2024 Premium Edition.

Of course, I don't know if Magix will still offer a Free Edition of Music Maker in 2025. You'll have to ask customer service at infoservice@magix.net.

richietowers wrote on 2/19/2024, 10:07 AM

Thanks for answering.

Can-Dive wrote on 3/5/2024, 4:43 PM

@richietowers Over the last few years Music Maker was a free software. You can simply install the newest Free Edition and it will have the features of earlier versions you bought automatically unlocked.

For example, if you buy Music Maker 2024 Premium Edition, you'll unlock all Features in the in-app-store that are included in the Premium Edition. If you later install the free Edition of Music Maker 2025 you'll still have all features of the Music Maker 2024 Premium Edition unlocked. Only new, paid features will be missing, which were not a part of the 2024 Premium Edition.

Of course, I don't know if Magix will still offer a Free Edition of Music Maker in 2025. You'll have to ask customer service at infoservice@magix.net.

@SP. I find it interesting that one can "upgrade" from a previous premium version to the current free version and retain all of the premium version functionality. My question is; what would be the advantage? A new looking UI? Bug fixes in the common code across all versions? I'm just curious. Also I assume that once you "upgrade" you can then uninstall the previous premium version?

browj2 wrote on 3/5/2024, 5:53 PM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Music Maker is free. There is only one version. There is no Premium Version, only Premium Edition. An Edition is like an add-on to the program - activating an Edition unlocks some features, downloads some, and likely gives you credits to purchase instruments, features or Soundpools from the Store. Thus, there is no "upgrade" from Premium2023 to free 2024, only from Music Maker 2023 to 2024 - and it's free.

I have MM2024 installed with my last purchased Premium Edition 2023, not Premium Edition 2024. All previously purchased Editions back to about 2016 are also activate so long as you log in. With the latest version, you get whatever is included with that new free version plus any bug fixes. And, you can purchase new features that may need the latest version to work.

Example, in order to activate Premium Edition 2024, you first have to have Music Maker 2024. Spectrum Visualizer 2 comes with Premium Edition 2024 or it can be purchased in the Store. I got it from the Store using credits. It was then unlocked or made available for download. If I didn't have MM2024 already on my computer, it probably would not have worked.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Can-Dive wrote on 3/5/2024, 8:45 PM

@browj2

Thanks for your detailed response clarifying this issue. You must be exhausted from new new users asking this same or similar question. After making my post I found your excellent video where you drill into us the difference between Music Maker which is free and the additional annual premium modules which you pay for.

https://www.magix.info/us/tutorials/magix-music-maker-2022-getting-started-versions-vs-editions--1307356/

Can-Dive wrote on 3/5/2024, 10:01 PM

@browj2

Just an observation, I think part of the problem in misunderstanding is how Magix markets Music Maker. I've attached the details of the premium 2024 edition below. Now that I know (based on your excellent video) everyone has the latest free version of Music Maker and the only difference is the editions and add-ons individuals purchased, some of the benefits of premium 2024 may be construed as a bit misleading. For example, in the screenshot below it says premium 2024 is more stable. More stable compared to what? The free version? Or is it more stable than the 2023 edition? Neither make sense since this is a module added onto the free version. If free Music Maker 2024 version is more stable than the free 2023 version then that is a benefit associated with the free version; not the premium edition. Everyone benefits regardless if they purchase the premium edition or not. You are not purchasing a more stable system; you already have it when you freely upgraded to Music Maker 2024.

The statement is associating the stability to the premium edition which suggests to the consumer that this is a new version of the entire program - not just an add-on module/edition. But maybe I misunderstood. Is this edition more stable than the previous edition? But you keep the previous edition within the program. Does the 2024 edition address bugs/stability issues in the 2023 edition? I don't know? I don't think so. Confused? I am.

Another example; The screen shot lists Song Maker AI as "New"! But new compared to what? The free version? Even so, editions 2023 and 2022 have Song Maker AI. It can't be new if its already three years old unless they added features to the module which are not available in previous editions. Is this the case? Is 2024 Song Maker AI version 3? If so, they should state it. If not, they can't say its "New". They can state that it is available but not "New" unless it wasn't offered in previous editions.

Its great to know that Magix is offering Music Maker for free. I thank them. They just need to clarify what is actually being offered like you did in your video.

To address this confusion would be a comparison chart of the annual editions as well as the free version. Then you will be able to determine what has been actually added/enhanced over the years with each edition. Is there one available? I have yet to source it.

@browj2 thanks again for addressing and clarifying this issue for new users to Music Maker.

browj2 wrote on 3/6/2024, 10:23 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Good points. Don't get me started on the marketing. Magix has changed the available information with each new version and it's now quite difficult to understand as you well point out. They went from pointing out that Music Maker was free, etc., and providing a comparison table of Free (edition part), Plus and Premium. They now have dropped Plus and not provided a comparison table. Grrr.

The only thing to keep in mind is that bugs do get fixed with a new version, and some new features, look and feel get added or changed. Magix is selling the addons - plugins, features, Editions, Soundpools, etc. - and that is where they make their money, not with the base program.

To illustrate some of the misunderstanding, a user on this forum purchased an Edition that was just some Soundpools for a particular genre of music. He installed the Music Maker that came with it and complained that it was the same as the normal Music Maker including all of the stuff that he had purchased over time, including Premium Editions. I asked him if he thought that it would be a good idea to have a separate Music Maker for each Edition, meaning that Soundpools, features, and instruments would not all be available one version of Music Maker - or - would it be better to have everything included in one version which is what he had. He then understood.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Can-Dive wrote on 3/6/2024, 1:45 PM

@browj2 all I can say is thank you again for taking the time and effort to create the tutorial videos. They are so valuable to new users of the program. 😍