Movie Studio Platinum Upgrade from Using Movie Studio Platinum 14

Stephen-Flannery wrote on 7/13/2024, 4:39 PM

Hello,

I had gotten an email about upgrading to the new 2025 edition of Movie Studio Platinum. And I had been using the Vegas Movie Studio 14 which I got in like 2017 or 2018. I am a little overwhelmed by how this is laid out. I have even tried to read the manual that I downloaded and I still feel lost. I hate this layout; it's awful. Like, there's no real importing and everything is right there on the screen for data but, it's like; I don't want to see all my files and such, I want just the specific files I want to import into the program to edit.

I have been using Topaz AI to upscale footage to HD and I have been doing the outputs in image files, .jpg and .png. With Movie Studio 14, I can import it and tell it do the whole "image sequence" that will essentially make all of the frames a video file at the frame rate that I want. I can't figure that out in the 2025 Movie Studio Platinum. Also, I do film scans which are 442 and 444 .mov containers. The 442 files load up fine in Movie Studio 14. But, in 2025 MSP, it give me an error message despite the manual stating that there's .mov compatibility. Why would an older version be able to load it up no problem, but the newer version can't?

Trying to figure this out has really bummed me out and I feel like I have wasted my time and money upgrading.

Comments

ericlnz wrote on 7/13/2024, 9:49 PM

@Stephen-Flannery Movie Studio Platinum 2025 is a different programme to your Vegas Movie Studio14. It's what was called Magix Movie Edit Pro which is now renamed Magix Movie Studio. That's why you are finding it so different including the absence of a Project Media Pane which is possibly what is causing your importing issues.

Unfortunately Magix have created the confusion by selling MS as an "update" to VMS when it really isn't. You have two options - continue using VMS14, or if you want a more up to date Vegas product switch to Vegas Pro.

Lastly in case you aren't aware Vegas products have a separate Magix website https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/

johnebaker wrote on 7/14/2024, 2:24 AM

@Stephen-Flannery

Hi

If you decide to continue with Magix Movie Studio 2025 there is a list of tutorials here to help with familiarisation and of the program.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Gid wrote on 7/14/2024, 3:11 AM

Hello,

I had gotten an email about upgrading to the new 2025 edition of Movie Studio Platinum. And I had been using the Vegas Movie Studio 14 which I got in like 2017 or 2018. I am a little overwhelmed by how this is laid out. I have even tried to read the manual that I downloaded and I still feel lost. I hate this layout; it's awful. Like, there's no real importing and everything is right there on the screen for data but, it's like; I don't want to see all my files and such, I want just the specific files I want to import into the program to edit

@Stephen-Flannery As mentioned above Magix Movie Studio is a completely different program to Vegas Movie Studio 14, It has never been associated & not an upgrade

I have been using Topaz AI to upscale footage to HD and I have been doing the outputs in image files, .jpg and .png. With Movie Studio 14, I can import it and tell it do the whole "image sequence" that will essentially make all of the frames a video file at the frame rate that I want. I can't figure that out in the 2025 Movie Studio Platinum.

Vegas Pro is the correct upgrade & will load Image Sequences just as you would expect.

Also, I do film scans which are 442 and 444 .mov containers. The 442 files load up fine in Movie Studio 14. But, in 2025 MSP, it give me an error message despite the manual stating that there's .mov compatibility. Why would an older version be able to load it up no problem, but the newer version can't?

Vegas Pro will have no problems with .MOV files,

Trying to figure this out has really bummed me out and I feel like I have wasted my time and money upgrading.

This is Vegas Pro, It will look, feel & perform just like your Vegas Movie Studio 14

You can download the Trial of Vegas Pro from the Magix website https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/gb/vegas-pro/

Last changed by Gid on 7/14/2024, 3:27 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums