Mono vs stereo tracks

danander11 wrote on 4/3/2021, 4:43 AM

OK, first.. it's killing me to have to ask this, and the answer is likely to be painfully obvious, but as of right now, I'm stumped.

I am a long-time Pro Tools user, so that is probably working against me here, but have only had Samplitude for around 30 hours now, and I'm really liking it bar one thing.

I was able to create a new VIP project and imported a set of stems that I wanted to use to help me learn the program. The issue that I have is that all of the stems imported to individual tracks, that show Stereo when properties is looked at. They are all single-lane waveforms, and that's not a drama.. However, I see that Samplitude also uses stereo, dual-lane tracks.. and I want my stereo stems, (L&R), to reside in the same place so that they will be affected equally by whatever I do to them. I'm aware of grouping could achieve the same result, but it seems more work.

Is it possible, (and how), for me to combine my L and R stems into one track? I've skimmed through the manual, spent longer going through the tutorial pdf, and have searched the web, Google, this forum, general mish-mash without any luck, and it seems such a simple thing. (btw, Thanks Kraznet, your vids are great!)

At any rate.. even just a point in the right general direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/3/2021, 5:59 AM

@danander11 When you load files you have the option to select "Load L & R files as stereo".

If the files are already loaded you need to render your audio clips into on single stereo file, for example with File Menu > Export > Mono / Stereo Convert, if you want them to use as a stereo object.

danander11 wrote on 4/3/2021, 6:18 AM

@danander11 When you load files you have the option to select "Load L & R files as stereo".

If the files are already loaded you need to render your audio clips into on single stereo file, for example with File Menu > Export > Mono / Stereo Convert, if you want them to use as a stereo object.

Yep, Tried that, (the first part).. same result, which is why I'm head-scratching.

Must've missed that, (the second part), in my Evelyn Woods speedread-through of the manual.

Many thanks!

SP. wrote on 4/3/2021, 6:31 AM

@danander11

Yep, Tried that, (the first part).. same result, which is why I'm head-scratching.

How are your files named? It must be something like filename_L.wav and filename_R.wav. Then it should work.

danander11 wrote on 4/3/2021, 8:25 AM

@danander11

How are your files named? It must be something like filename_L.wav and filename_R.wav. Then it should work.

They are.. it's odd.. but the 'export to stereo' fix is working a treat. Thanks again for that.